• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geil 3200 Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

My brother has 2 sticks of GeiL value 3200 2.5-3-3-6 same as me. Mine will do 215 Mhz at 2-2-2-5 @ 2.9V but his won't budge past 210 @ 2.5-3-3-6 with 3V? is this just luck of the draw? or does it suggest that there is something actually wrong with the memory?

Not all Value Geils are the same - some (...and most likely yours too) are using BH5 chips, most of them though, are using Infineon chips. My Geil can do 224 one stick and 228 the other one, both @ 2,5 - 3 - 3 - 11. I find these timings + Vdimm set @ 2.77 to work the best for my board - everything else I try makes me drop FSB a lot.

In your brothers case, it could also be the board - did you try running them with Memtest86?

yeah memtest cheacked out fine, and we tested them on my board too. I know some ram just doesn't oc far, but at 2.9V it should go more than +10 Mhz at stock timings. i would even expect unbranded stuff to do that.

You are forgettin (or simply not knowin') that voltage increase isn't realy a rule when it comes to OCing ram. My sticks don't like it when I hit them with 2.9, preffer 2.6V and absolutly shine at 2.77. Believe me, I tested the sh** outta these and I am 100% sure that 2.77 V and 2.5 - 3 - 3 - 11 are far the best settings for 228 FSB (peak) I can have on this board.

Back