• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My questions about my RAM. Voltages, errors, etc.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MikeD1883

Registered
OK. Here is my situation. I built my first system about three weeks ago and the RAM I'm using is Corsair CMX512-3200XL. I have 2x512 sticks of this running in duel channel mode on my ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe mobo. I also have the Intel Prescott (yes I know ... :shrug: ) 3.0 chip.

When I first set everything up, I left the bios option for RAM voltages to AUTO. I just recenly realized that my RAM has been running at 2.65 V for this entire three weeks. The package it came in says it runs at 1.75 V at 2-2-2-5 timings.

So naturally I went into the bios and upped the voltage to 2.75 because I read that more voltage can stabalize RAM ( I was having some CTD issues with Warcraft 3 ).

Now is where I have questions. I downloaded a program called memtest (not memtest86 or 86+ because I don't have a program to burn the ISO image to a cd and I don't have a floppy drive ... basically I can't use this program because I have no way to boot from it, which it requires). This memtest program is a stand alone windows application that I tested my RAM with. Basically sometimes it goes through 100% of 800 mb (wanted to leave windows enough RAM to operate) and has no errors. If I let it keep going, I eventually get 3 or 4 errors before I hit 300%. I have read that good RAM should get NO errors at all, even if you let it run all night.

Did running my RAM at 2.65 V for 3 weeks somehow damage the RAM? Should I increase the voltage more to help stabalize it (until no errors)? If so, what is the maximum voltage I should use? This RAM is advertized to run at 2-2-2-5, however my cpu-z says its running at 2.5-2-2-5. Is there any way to resolve this and make it run at the better timing?

This RAM has a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer, so I'd like to know if its the RAM or just my settings that are causing the errors before I RMA this stuff. I honestly didn't expect any errors as I paid $195 dollars for these two sticks. I wanted some high quality RAM.

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.

EDIT: I just found out that my board has a max VDIMM voltage setting of 2.85 Volts.

Last edited:
Ok why did you set the voltage to 2.75 and then complain about it not being stable. If you don't have your ram oc'ed then run it at the advertised settings.t The ram should run at 2-2-2-5 at 1.75. Ram has a sweet spot... i.e I get errors at 2.7 and 2.9 but at 2.8 I get no errors (this is with TCCD ram).

So have you tried the advertised settings?

I'm sorry, I messed up what I meant to say. I ran memtest at the 2.65 and was getting errors. THEN I cranked to 2.75 and continued to get errors.

I also have memtest86+ now and made the bootable CD. I found a free program to burn the ISO image. I'm going to run that now and post my results.

so do you get errors with the settings at 2-2-2-5 at 1.75? Raising the voltage doesn't mean tighter timmings... like I said Ram has a sweet spot.

The package says 2-2-2-5 at 2.75. However my cpu-z says its running at 2.5-2-2-5 at 2.75.

I ran memtest86+ ... bad news. On test 6 I got over 100 errors. My RAM is obviously bad, so I'm gonna RMA it. :'(

Back