• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill vs. G.Skill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im searching around for some G.Skill and newegg has them, and cant find anyone else with them except for one ofther store Ive never heard of, but neweggs cheaper (I just froogled "G.Skill", pricewatch only brought up 1 result)

The two sticks Im looking at have great praise from this site (OCF) but I need to know if the higher is worth the extra 50 dollars.

Heres the contestants:

G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 550 (PC 4400) Unbuffered Samsung TCCD Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLE - Retail

20-231-006-01.JPG

VS.

G.SKILL Extreme Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR550/ DDR600 Unbuffered Samsung TCCD System Memory Model F1-4800DSU2-1GBFF - Retail

20-231-014-02.JPG

Both of these sticks are Highly praised here. I realize one is gauranteed 300HTT and the other is Gauranteed 275HTT. But we know both can go higher than the name provides. Does anyone have experience with the two sticks. Or even have a valid opinion on this.

I know many have the LE and have reached some pretty high clocks with them. Please voice your thoughts.

Since Im on air cooling 300+HTT's arent very expected, and thats why im wanting to save the extra 50. I was bidding on a Mach 1 on ebay, and finally got outbid and I wont go higher right now (ITS STILL GOING, HURRY OVER THERE AND START BIDDING, its at $465 U.S.D). If that were the case, I would go ahead and get the DDR600 sticks because with a Prommy unit Im sure they'd be well worth it.

Thanks in advance.

The FF series is the newer version (if you will) of the LEs, FF being rated at 300fsb whereas the LE are rated at 275fsb. Both are great. As I'm finding out it's not just a memory issue. You can also be limited by your memory controller. I have six sticks of TCCD ram in which 4 can clock over 300fsb by themself. Put them in dual channel and the best I can get is 298 regardless of what I do. Whether you use the LE or the FF serious you should be very satisfied either way. Just realize that your processor has to have a great memory controller to max out the ram.

Thats a good point that I didnt think of. Ive been thinking about moving to a 3700 SD, which I think would be very logical with this ram. If I dont move tothe SD imgonna save and get a Toledo 4400 instead. Either way, I knew this RAM would be the best choice with my Mobo.

With my current VX, Ive reached 268x10 @ 1:1 with 3.4v going to that RAM. I have voltage issues with my 5v rail, so the 4v trick sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. Thats the main reason I am moving to TCCD. If I could get the extra volts I need with the VX, I would just keep them. And I will keep them because they'll go in the sleeper rig but will always be stock.

Another Proc of choice is, or course, a 4000 SD, or a FX55. Both will have to wait, and both will be great with either one of thoughs sticks. Right now Im just wondering about the value of the FF's over the LE's due to the fact that Im on air. If you can see me getting 275HTT with either stick, then Ill go with the LE's.

--EDIT--
Sorry, my space bar is a little jacked up, so my words run together every once in a while. Im to cheap with my Input devices to care to get a new one. lol :rolleyes:

HousERaT said:
The FF series is the newer version (if you will) of the LEs, FF being rated at 300fsb whereas the LE are rated at 275fsb. Both are great. As I'm finding out it's not just a memory issue. You can also be limited by your memory controller. I have six sticks of TCCD ram in which 4 can clock over 300fsb by themself. Put them in dual channel and the best I can get is 298 regardless of what I do. Whether you use the LE or the FF serious you should be very satisfied either way. Just realize that your processor has to have a great memory controller to max out the ram.

Are the LE sticks native for 1T or 2T? I know the FF sticks are gauranteed 1T, right now im looking more towards the FF's.

ShadowClock59 said:
Thanks, just ordered the LE's. Would it be overkill on TCCD to get Heat Spreaders? Seems odd not to have them.

You would do better to just put a fan over them.

Back