• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RMA'ed Plat Rev2's will still NOT overclock?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

Ok I previously had a pair of 2x512mb sticks of OCZ EL Plat Rev2's (v1.0 TCCD), and they would not overclock to anything no matter what I did. They weren't even prime stable past 4 hours at stock, so I had them RMA'ed. I tried all types of advice on timings and voltages on these sticks. So I just got back a new pair of v1.1 TCC5, no big deal. They were prime stable for 2 hours, so I thought finally some good sticks, and i've been running them at 250mhz with the below settings, and at 2.6-3.0vdimm, it fails within 10 min. What gives? Could it be a corrupted install of windows, or a bad graphics card (new x800xl that doesn't run games without artifacts but i dont know?). I'm ganna continue to run these sticks at stock settings to see how long it goes in prime, maybe these sticks are fine but it's something else. :shrug:

official 6/23-3 bios, orange slots, actively cooled

enable
auto
enabled
auto
level 7
level 2
auto
disable
disable

250x9
LDT x4
1.525v startup
1.35v + above vid 113% (1.5255v)
1.3v LDT
1.6v and 1.7v chipset
2.6-3.0vdimm

I bet it's your powersupply. I don't know much about skyhawks. Try running mbm5 to check your rail votages or if the bios can tell you see if their stable. A bad psu could give both artifacts on your gfx card and mem errors.

i suspect its something else .try testing ur system with prime using a ratio that will eliminate ur memory from the test( like using a 5/4 ratio or 3/2) that way u can test the sysem to see if something else is failing....

I think it migh be the ps also i had a antec 430 and my ram started acting funny
then i got a ocz modstream 450 and everything is fine now.

I'm using that bios and I have mine stable at 200mhz 2-3-2-5 . Are you sure your chip is stable?

My rails are fine 12.15, 3.27, 5.01, and the sticks are completely stable at stock, just no oc past 210mhz....

ap673 what are the amperage ratings on the 12V and 5V rails of your PSU? That info will be listed on a sticker on the side of the PSU. A weak power supply will limit overclocking.

I'd suggest you try each stick out on it's own and if you have another PC to test the memory in give that a shot

Steve

i've got dual +12v rails at 20A each, and 45A on the +5v rail. I sent the sticks to Ryder so he can test them out, if he can get them to overclock then I really don't know what else could be the problem.

How likely is it that it could be a bum video card or harddrive? How do I test if its the mobo or cpu that's holding it back?

Try the yellow dimm slots. Its worth a try. I know the 3/10 bios wouldn't let me run dual channel until I flashed to 6/23-3 (the bios you have). Maybe try the 510-2f bios?

ap673 said:
How likely is it that it could be a bum video card or harddrive? How do I test if its the mobo or cpu that's holding it back?

Unless you're running them out of spec as in bus speed I doubt it. Best bet is to test out each part in a friends system until you figure out which is holding you back. You'll know soon enough if it's the memory and you can work from there

Ok so i've tested this rig with 2x256mb of Gskill TCCD and it's been running prime for 3 hours now, where the OCZ 2x512mb TCCD failed in 3 min at 275mhz. Could it be that the mobo or cpu can't run high HTT with 512mb sticks?

i agree with flapperhead. I just had some some of those 1.1 TCC5 sticks, and was barely stable at stock speeds 1:1. after some cooling mods, became stable agian. With enough testing i found that my board....the nice IC7-G isnt fond of FSB speeds higher than 250mhz....

test for a whole night ( +day ) of prime with a divider at the stock FSB (HTT what ever that is ahahaha) and see how stable it is. If still not could be PSU, could be board.

But the board does do 275mhz with 2x256 sticks of Gskill LE, and the DFI nf4 ultra is known for it's overclockablility.

Back