• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ordering with a Debit Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NaNoBLaZe01

My mom finally got me a card to make my online purchases. She hated it when I would bother her to make purchases, not to mention that she doesn't trust the internet since someone was able to get her credit card info while she was ordering something by phone. :shrug:

So, I tried making my first online purchase at SVC.com. When I was to input my card's exp date. I didn't know what to do. The exp date on my debit card was not the typical MM/YYYY but instead it showed "Valid Thru 07/31/07." I figured since it is technically expired in 8/07, I put that in. Today, I got an email saying my debit card was declined. This is what showed up at my mom's acct on the USAA site.

Date Description (Debit)/Credit
Amount Reject Reason
Aug 01, 2005 MC AUTHORIZATION
SILICON VALLEY COMPUCY SAN JOSE CA ($40.99) INVALID EXP DATE
SILICON VALLEY COMPU C SAN JOSE CA ($40.99) INVALID EXP DATE

I just replied that email saying that my card was valid through 07/31/07. I don't really know if that was the right thing to do. Right now my order is on hold on SVC website. Anyone know what I should put in?

dc.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic. I have no idea on how you guys have such clear pictures... maybe it because my cam is just 2.1MPx

Well "VAlid through 7/31/07" does not make it expire 08/07. It would still make it expire 07/07. Try that 1st. Then contact the bank and see if the bank ruls have restrictions on online purchaces.

my debit has a 500$ limit, that is usually the case, other than that, I order with my debit all the time with no problems

Thanks guys.
AMAZON.COM *SUPERSTOR AMZN.COM/BILLWA ($20.41)1
AMAZON.COM *SUPERSTOR AMZN.COM/BILLWA ($1.00)1

I'm just wondering, why did it charge an extra dollar?

And for the SVC.com order, would the email be enough? Or should I just reorder?

jack222 said:
How old do you need to be to get a debit card?

i do believe over 18 if you wish to open your own account, but in his case his mother probably cosigned the account so he could get it pre-18, i did the same thing when i got my job that needed an account setup for direct deposit pay, but because of my age my mother had to also sign on as part of the account, therefore when cards came she ended up with one too even though we checked the box to not give her a card. :shrug:

Minimum of 17 for a debit

i dont think that can be qutie true, because i am 16 and currently hold a debit card (its for a bank account that i share with my parents but its my debit card)

i got my own when i was 16, my parents name wasn't even on the account...just depends what bank. im going through wachovia

Back