• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Active cooling not enough!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cotdt

Registered
Active cooling not enough! HOT HOT!

I'm running Crucial Ballistix 2.5-3-3-6@277MHz (got four 512MB sticks of PC4000 Tracer for $55 each), and boy do these sticks get HOT! With a 120mm 1800RPM fan blowing onto them, they are incredibly HOT even with my computer is on idle. They are stable, but uncomforterably HOT and I don't feel safe. I touched it for a couple seconds and got my finger burned one time. Now there is white puss coming out of my finger and it hurts bad. They get much hotter than the Kingston BH5 that they replaced, and those were already quite hot.

The problem is, my Abit motherboard (voltage modded of course, and I don't know how much voltage is being feeded into the memory) has all four sticks side by side, so there is only 2.0 mm of space between the memory sticks, so I couldn't add heatsinks onto the heatspreaders. What should I do? Should I remove the heatspreaders? They do get very HOT as I've said before, so I think they are doing their job. I don't want to run my fan too high because I don't like loud noise after setting up my computer to be a quiet one. It is watercooled, so no heat inside case.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to quietly cool these HOTmemories? I couldn't find any info online. That said, I must say that this is awesome memory. They are as cheap as value ram but way, way better. I beleive they are still selling this memory for $55 a 512MB stick. The blue LEDs are very bright and do get annoying at night, but they are nice to show off to friends. You do have to run it at 2T on Venices though.

Last edited:
Eggs? What do eggs have to do with cooling? I don't understand. Please explain.

Ram sinks will only work for the memory slots 1 and 4, but 2 and 3 are packed inside.

Edit: Just a thought, are there any small profile waterblocks for watercooling (or phase change cooling) memory? I would love to add them into my cooling loop.

Last edited:
many options out there but i dont know how far your willing to go.
1 is take the spreaders off,some have found it will get more air due to the spreaders taking up so much space but also the thermal pads used mainly act like blankets.
of course you will loose your warrenty as stated but if you dont mess them up they can usually be put back on.
if you like the spreaders for looks you can take them off and remove the thermal pads and use silicone thermal paste or ceramique. putting them back on will take some adjustments with some tape wrapped pliers to squeeze them down to fit and make 100% contact.

or you could just wait on my spreaders im building and hope to get used in a ram line.
my thread is here on this page so you can see my idea.try it if you like and have the skills.http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=402749

Last edited:
hey deathstar i wished i had seen that thread! it is exactly what i was looking for and I will build it. Thanks for the design! A variation of it should basically be able to cool all four sticks with one block irregardless of the memory spacing. deathstar i love you!

cotdt said:
hey deathstar i wished i had seen that thread! it is exactly what i was looking for and I will build it. Thanks for the design! A variation of it should basically be able to cool all four sticks with one block irregardless of the memory spacing. deathstar i love you!
but will you still love me in the morning? :shrug: lol
your correct it could be designed any way a person liked and fit thier needs.
mine was just done that way for a wide range of users and mobos.

post any designs or prototypes you build.
heatpipes are the future before we all need to goto h20.hopefully other technologys will emerge we can take advantage tho.

btw if your gonna strip the spreaders off try them bare also with a good fan.

But is there a way for me to monitor the temperature of my memory so that I can tell whether or not heatspreaders are better on or off? I've read in reviews that Crucial Ballistix is a special exception to poor heatspreader mounting and it is actually mounted much tighter and more effectively. I don't know if this is true or not, but it does mean that they will be very difficult to remove.

If the outside of the heatspreader is already that hot, you may not gain much from removing them. If you do want to remove them, try sticking them in a bag and putting them in a freezer. They should pry off fairly easily once they are cold.

Also, check out xtremesystems.com for waterblock ideas for your RAM.

CJ

cotdt said:
But is there a way for me to monitor the temperature of my memory so that I can tell whether or not heatspreaders are better on or off? I've read in reviews that Crucial Ballistix is a special exception to poor heatspreader mounting and it is actually mounted much tighter and more effectively. I don't know if this is true or not, but it does mean that they will be very difficult to remove.
some multimeters have temp probes in them.but what your gonna need is a flat sensor to sit directly on the ic itself.

http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2642&cat=64&page=1 id email them and ask if it has a flat or ball sensor tip.they are a great and highly recomended company btw.

http://www.xtremesystems.org cj4 messed up his link a little :)

Back