• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ebay motors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xtreme Barton

just curious about this..

never have i used ebay for anything (well i browsed before). any who..

i need a second vehichle for comuting long distances. i hate the price of gas and a little better mpg would be excellent.

now i was looking through ebay motors and seen no reserve auctions. what are the chance's of these actually being a good deal ?? im talking about a decent car for say 500 bucks. are they truly legally held responsible to sell me that car if i win ?? i know there is alot of hoop' la to watch out for. but not exactly sure how technical these sellers can get ..

i seen this http://pages.motors.ebay.com/services/purchase-protection.html

anybody care to comment on these types of transactions ??
any suggestions before purchasing to protect myself ??

i got thinking about this (maybe im paranoid) but i emailed a seller since he was close to me and asked a couple questions. he said call me and left a number. i emailed back and asked if he could just breifly answer and that i would call maybe in the next few days to ask more. he said just call me.
i didnt know if he didnt want records of contact through ebay (ask seller a question) or what .. i just keep having that thought if to good to be true than it is ..

i dont know im tired and rambling .... please respond ..

:shrug:

I would only buy a car on ebaymotors if I could come do a thorough inspection myself before bidding.

If you can, its not much different than any other private seller transaction.

I've never purchased a car from ebay motors but I've sold one before. It went pretty much the same way that any other transaction would go aside from shipping. He sent the MO a day later a big rig came and picked it up and delivered to his house in Maine.

well i am trying to get a reality check on the whole no reserve thing i guess...

i just cant see a decent car being sold woth a no reserve and it going for say 400 or 500 bucks .. maybe it happens i dunno, i was just thinking that most people would probably back out of the deal if the bidding didnt get high enough..

On ebay, if yo backk out, you get in serious trouble;).

Look at their feedback, and see what it says.

Ebay can be a good and bad thing, prices are really really close (if not below) auction/wholesale prices for most models...however, you don't have the luxury of driving the vehicle, physically inspecting it if its an older vehicle.

I helped my parents get an 04 Toyota Sienna van with 13k on Ebay, it was new enough to where I didn't care about most of the issues because it was still covered under warranty, and a clean carfax report by the seller was enough to satisfy me. It was also $2500k cheaper than local dealerships.

However, older vehicles may not be as easy, higher miles and older age could mean hidden rust, it could drive funny, smells bad and the seller may not disclose that. Regardless of what Ebay's protection covers, unless you live real close to the seller, the seller has your $$$ and can run with it (some don't but you never know).

Do your research, make sure the car is good enough of a buy to get it before seeing it. I hope I didn't bore anyone!

yeah i was thinking that...

i was only gonna buy near my location... im picky about that sort of stuff..

im just weirded out on ebay itself (all those bad horror stories) and then to try and believe further that i can get a real cheap car (hopefully) and the buyer will actually let it go for super cheap ..

ah well .. i believe if i get ripped off im protected (minus 100 bucks) for the sale price... i guess i'll give it a go .. i'll take one for the team .. you can bet i will post back if i get ripped ... lol

i wouldnt mess with ebay motors unless 1) its a car still under warrentee or 2) an old car you are looking to restore (in that case you want the body to be in good condition)

I bought a car off ebay. 95 240sx. I called the guy up, talked to him about it, etc. He was in wisc. and I was in Hawaii at that time, so I had no way of inspecting it. The car I bought came crisp and clean, except for the floor matt, and ran great. It had a big mud stain, probably from the shippers...damn them! All the horror storys you hear are because people tell horror story's, and not enough people (or just about none) tell good stories about their experience with ebay. Just be cautious about some things, and I personally wouldn't pay MO for it. That's scam numeral uno on ebay.

Back