• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Matching Memory question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epauls

Getting ready for my major rebuild and here is the question. A few months ago I needed some more memory for kids computers. so Instead of buying memory for them I bought new memory for me and handed down my then current memory.

The old Memory is:
OCZ Enhanced Latency 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR400
Cas 2, 2-3-2-6, 2.6V

The new memory is:
OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR400
Cas 2, 2-2-2-5, 2.75V

During my rebuild I will be rebuilding the kids computer also. The older OCZ memory I do not need to use on their computer.

So, now to the actual question> Can I or should I use the old memory in conjunction with the new memory on my new MB giving me 2 gig? Or should I just stick with the 1 gig of the newer memory?

The new MB is the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium NF4 and the CPU is AMD 64 3700+ san diego.

If you are going to overclock then I don't believe that you want to combine the two.

The newer stuff uses the Samsung TCC5 chips and is capable of high overclocks, near or beyond 300 HTT if you have a good set. The older OCZ uses either CH-5 or maybe ProMOS or Mosel chips and is not capable of the same kind of high clocks as the Samsung. You would end up dragging the new stuff down.

I was afraid of that.

Well, I do have another question. What approx should I expect to be able to run fully stable with the following?

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium NF4
AMD 64 3700+ san diego
OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR400
Cooling:
I will be using the Thermal Take Big Typhoon and my case has 7 80mm fans.
Power will be the OCZ modstream 520

Back