• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x512MB of DDR2-667 or better:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KJSatz

A gig via two 512mb sticks. DDR2.

Currently I have 512MB of Corsair Value DDR2-533. I mean it's good for value, it can make it up to DDR2-585 or so speeds, but I'm planning on doing a computer makeover for...you guessed it, overclocking (and futureproofing) (yes I know buying more **** to be futureproof when you're already relativly futureproof is sorta dumbnastictastic, but so is spending $1000 on a FX-55 and another $1100 on 2 7800GTX's but people do it). </tangent> I'm going to get a new mobo circa Newyears, and seeing as how:

A) I want a gig of RAM for gaming and video editing endeavors
B) Why waste $50 so that I can buy $150 DDR2 for $100 down the road?!
C) The mobo will support DDR2-667 and possibly DDR2-800 (depending on how **** goes)
D) AMD seems to be shooting for DDR2 in the future

I might as well get a nice gig now that can last a while. So I'm rather convinced I want to get a gig of nice DDR2, 667 or even 800 (though 800 looks rather outa-the-cards). I have $110 about now and will roll into another $50 at the end of the month, when I think I shall buy, so that's $160. I guess you can post links up to $180 but please keep shipping in mind to the Midwestern US.

I'm thinking about:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227046

Well? Thanks guys.

there's no point if you have to use a divider. if you have unlocked multis, a board that can do high fsb, and a good clocking chip you can take advantage of better ram but not until then. for example, i bought 2x1gb pqi and can run 333x14 max 1:1 so the ram is perfect..

With more voltage and relaxing the timings, I bet that Corsair Value will do a little better. Have you tried 2.0v yet? The way prices have been slowly dropping and timings finally getting better with DDR2, I'd hold off with what you got until you do the mobo upgrade. Right now about the only decent 2X512 dual channel kits in your price range would be Corsair XMS DDR2 675 (4-4-4-12) and OCZ Gold Series DDR2 667 (4-4-4-8). Personally, I think the OCZ will handle more voltage and give you tighter timings. Another option is two 512 sticks of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667 for $60 each at newegg.com.

Well i'm goign to sleep on this one. After all, I wont have the cash until September. Plenty of time to think this through.

5 months ago, a 512MB stick of Corsair Value has gone from $93 to $50, so I guess over the next 5 monts a similar change could happen with the faster DDR2 (in fact, I bet it will). I'm still contemplating getting another 512MB of the Corsair Value---the memory isn't holding back my OC, the motherboard is---but I don't want to throw $50 out the window like that! Only time will tell, so I wait. Thanksf or the info guys.

Ok, I reread your first post after you said you might add another 512 of Corsair Value. For some reason I was thinking you already had 2X512. But I guess the first post says you have 512 of RAM. Is that a single stick or 2X256? If you only have a single stick, then definitely get another matching stick as soon as possible. Running dual channel in Intel rigs really makes a big performance difference.

You think it'll be worth it? And if/when I get a new mobo I can hold off on getting new mem then too, because my Corsair Value can do 4-3-3-12 @266MHz (that's DDR2-533) at stock voltage, and with my 530J that's around 3.8GHz which would be GREAT and beyond expectations (this would be the memory and fsb at 1:1) if that makes sense for you. I do indeed have 1 DIMM of the Corsair Value, 512MB. So you think I should go ahead and spend $50 on another stick of it?

Oh yeah, get the extra stick of RAM, it's a good bang for the buck. You'll nearly double your memory bandwidth with dual channel besides doubling the memory capacity. If you can get 4-3-3-12 at 266 FSB with default voltage, that ain't bad for inexpensive DDR2. With a bump in voltage, I'm sure that RAM will hold it's own. I doubt you'll need to upgrade the RAM for quite a while if you get a second stick now.

OK I'm gonna go for it I'm pretty sure. I can even order it now. I think I'll go ZipZoomFly rather than Newegg, save $2...

Back