• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IS7 or AI7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BPM

I'm looking at Abit motherboards to upgrade from my Intel D865 PERL. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Abit IS7 or the AI7. I would go IC7, but I won't be doing much (if any) overclocking.

Is either of these boards better than the other? In comparing the specs, they look nearly identical.

See my system in my sig for what it would need to be able to handle.

The AI7 is better for overclocking since it has much higher vdimm options. If you are not pouring a lot of voltage to the RAM and are only planning a modest O/C at most, then either will work fine.

since either would probably be good for you go for the one that doesnt have a post code, unless they both do... the postcode in on the corner part of the board and has a double 8 while not on... they are picky and wont start over minor things.

I at one point used a IS7-E as my primary board and have replaced it with an AI7, and have bought a second AI7 that is in my media PC. I find these to be the best boards of the i865pe persuasion. These boards are best suited for Northwood-family processors, as their cpu power supply sections start woking noticeably hard with Prescotts above ~3.2GHz. The AI7 produces winning OCs, razor-sharp memory timings, and superior performance per clock cycle as compared to the alternatives.

The IS7 is almost as capable, and will in fact drive Prescott cpus better due to a bit more beef in the PWM mosfets. But they are really still a half measure for Prescott use. The IS7 vdimm stops at 2.8V, where the AI7 allows 3.2V, but the modification to increase the IS7's to 3 or 3.1V is easy enough. But even though I modded the IS7 to 3V and have had the AI7 for some time, I haven't had a situation where voltage beyond the IS7's 2.8V really made the difference for a particular configuration.

Both boards are laid out pretty well, and the IS7 matches the AI7 feature-wise, with firewire and ICH5R raid. The integrated audio and ethernet are basic but functional on both. I like the AI7 better, but either is a dynamite performance board for a Northwood and you can do ever so much worse.

All this said though, at this point I would purchase an Asus P4P800-SE to allow in later installation of a Pentium-M processor, the only thing I see as a drastic improvement over a P4-2.8c or 3.0c at whatever OC it produces. Even a 3.0C at stock clock is good enough for nearly anyone from a functional standpoint as long as it is married to a strong i865pe board with good dual channel PC3200 memory running good timings.

But once you establish that baseline, the game goes back to how much cpu power you can generate, and while the AI7 is an extremely elegant and potent device the P4P800-SE will give you a cost effective way to increase cpu power to a level for many tasks equivalent to a ~5GHz P4, making it a great value for the ~$250 price a P-M chip and Asus CT-479 adaptor carries. It will extend the useful lifespan of a i865pe rig, making a desire to use PCI express graphics the thing that will force their eventual retirement.

The lastest version of the IS7-V2 does not have the i865 chipset. I am pretty sure it's a i848, which makes this board a big step down from the older IS7 versions. My AI7 is a great board & I highly recommend it, but also agree Asus may be a better option due to Dothan support.

Last edited:
The only thing that's bugging me about the Asus is I don't see any type of Firewire support, although I could probably get a PCI card for that. I could certainly take advantage of the wireless capability though. Looks like the decision might come between those 2 options.

Last edited:
BPM said:
The only thing that's bugging me about the Asus is I don't see any type of Firewire support, although I could probably get a PCI card for that.
Probably? Honestly, this is far too trivial a concern to drive the MB selection. I like the fact that the AI7 has firewire, but I would kill for Pentium-M support.

larva said:
Probably? Honestly, this is far too trivial a concern to drive the MB selection. I like the fact that the AI7 has firewire, but I would kill for Pentium-M support.
Lusting after P-M here too. :drool:

While true that the IS7-V2 has the 848 chipset, the only real difference between the 848 and 865 chipsets is dual channel ram support. The 848 doesnt have it. Whenever i have to install chipset drivers the intel utility detects my 848 chipset as an 865 chipset. I really like my v2 and the only real problem i've had with it is that my southbridge went crazy and overheats now. I have to run a heatsink with a fan in order to use this board and i had to disable usb 2 support. /edit/ after looking around intels site, it's apparent that the 848 and 865 chipsets are the same except for dual channel support. The 848 chipset doesn't have it. Everything else is identical. Who knew? /end edit/

I'm not complaining though, my 2.66 northwood is happily sitting at 3.2ghz, and i could probably push it past 3.4 with better cooling. I will be upgrading soon, and will stick with the IS7 series.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I ordered the AI7 earlier this week and it will be going in tonight :attn:

While I understand the potential of the Pentium M, I'm not yet comfortable w/my OC skills enough to warrant getting it. Maybe next time.

UPDATE: The motherboard is in and doing GREAT :D

I heard a few people say to stay away from the one w/the LED readout on the board, but mine has this and I didn't have any problems. I haven't really messed w/much though in the BIOS. Just went in there to adjust the memory timings to slightly better than stock.

I don't think I'll ever go back to Intel boards. Not only because you can't modify much, but this board is so much more user friendly to set up. Things were VERY straightforward and it would be difficult for a newB to get mixed up during installation and setup.

Last edited:
Back