• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much are temps off on abit boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

Hello i want to adjust MBM5 to compensate for the horrednous temp readings it normally gets. Im thinking -12 degress is good?

No, it's not usually that far off. A lot of people will try to claim 10 to 12 degrees because that's usually the difference between Asus and Abit, but nowadays I think it's been shown that Asus reports lower than actual and Abit reports higher than actual. Also, each individual mobo might be slightly different. As near as I can tell, the IC7 mobos I've had appear to read about 4-6 degrees higher than actual. I thought one of the later BIOS updates partially compensated for temp readings too?

OK well i got -12degrees. By subtracting -12 i was able to get the same temps as from my Epox mobo which is accurate. And the latest bios (december) i think didnt do anything for the temp sensor. So doest that mean the System and PWM (i think thats what i sensor that says Power/AUX is right?) are off by -12 degrees too?

I suspect that System and PWM temps are not offset. I tried to apply the calibration routine to PWM temps and got offset results all over the place, no consistency.

I believe Abit's rationale for the CPU temperature offset was that their approach gave a better indication of the peak temperature at the CPU core. That rationale wouldn't apply to PWM and System sensors.

BTW, has anybody figured out where the System sensor is located? I'd thought it was near the northbridge, but after measuring temps with an IR thermometer, that doesn't seem true.

Back