• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone go to apple store for repairs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberey66

My iBooks backlight just stopped working today after about 2 weeks :'(, from what I read its a common thing to go wrong. There's an apple store about 5 minutes from me, so I'm going to go there and see if I can get it repaired. I doubt they will do the repair in the store, but did anyone ever bring a broken iBook or Powerbook to an apple store? Either way I'll post what happens. When I almost RMA'd my iPod it seemed simple, but i never had to go through with it. My serial # showed up online correctly so everything should go smoothly.

So, hopefully their repair process is as good as their OS is. :) I just hope I can go to the store and not have to pay shipping charges.

Returned, took about an hour total time in the store. They were nice, greeted me and took my name. 20 minutes later they looked at my laptop, wrote up a repair order, let me erase my email accounts using their monitor, and took my iBook and gave a receipt. They didn't check for receipt or anything, just asked for the email I registered with. So far great service, I just hope my iBook returns in good physical and working condition.

OK, apple repair went through great. Didn't need the receipt at all, they just checked serial, they printed me a receipt, took my ibook, and i was able to track every step online. They called me right when they got the ibook back, and now i have it working perfect again. So if anyone searches this thread for apple, at least heres my story. Apple repair under warrenty is easy, just register your product, and they just look up the serial for the warrenty info.

1 year from date of purchase. But so far support seems to be mixed. My girlfriend took in her ipod that didnt charge correctly, they told her they would call her in 2-3 days, they never called, a few days later she went to the store, they returned her a scratched ipod and told her there is nothing they can do. They blamed the charging error on not using itunes music since mp3s drain the battery. I'm not making that part up sadly, resulted in exchange of words. Maybe support is different for higher priced items, since they send them out. My iBook repair was easy, but it was a common problem with iBooks.

I did notice very minor scratches on my iBook, but im not anal and looking at my almost 3 year old ipod, my iBook will be scratched up as soon as I stick in my backpack everyday.

Last edited:
Apple store??? Hell no. I bought my iPod from there though. I almost bought a MAC mini until I found out that if I wanted to buy anything for it RAM, Airport etc...that I HAD to have them do it or no warranty for me. Then the cost of adding on an airport then this or that etc.... FRACK!!!! I may as well have just bought a Dual G5

cyberey66 said:
OK, apple repair went through great. Didn't need the receipt at all, they just checked serial, they printed me a receipt, took my ibook, and i was able to track every step online. They called me right when they got the ibook back, and now i have it working perfect again. So if anyone searches this thread for apple, at least heres my story. Apple repair under warrenty is easy, just register your product, and they just look up the serial for the warrenty info.

That's good news. My sister just bought an iBook and I was worried about her getting it serviced.

cyberey66 said:
1 year from date of purchase. But so far support seems to be mixed. My girlfriend took in her ipod that didnt charge correctly, they told her they would call her in 2-3 days, they never called, a few days later she went to the store, they returned her a scratched ipod and told her there is nothing they can do. They blamed the charging error on not using itunes music since mp3s drain the battery. I'm not making that part up sadly, resulted in exchange of words. Maybe support is different for higher priced items, since they send them out. My iBook repair was easy, but it was a common problem with iBooks.

I did notice very minor scratches on my iBook, but im not anal and looking at my almost 3 year old ipod, my iBook will be scratched up as soon as I stick in my backpack everyday.

My experience with the Apple Store is better with the iPod. I've exchanged it about twice after explaining my problem at the "Genius Bar". The whole process took about 15 mins. and I went home with a new/refurb iPod. (Roosevelt Field Mall, NY)

I've been to the Apple Store for two repairs (did them both at the same time). My iPod had completely stopped working, and when plugged in it started heating up, the temperature affecting the LCD screen. This was a 2G thin 10 gig, with the direct firewire connector. The guy at the Genius Bar put in my AppleCare case number, but since the iPod was engraved with my name, I had to RMA it through the mail. Once I eventually got to mailing it, it took about a week to process, then I got a brand new iPod of the same model, with my name engraved, at the very end of the 1-year warranty.

The other problem was with my brother's iBook G3. He was attempting to use a DV firewire camera with iChat AV, which worked if you had a hack for iChat. He got it balanced on the top of his screen and some trash behind it, and started to use it, but then it fell forward onto his keyboard and snapped off the 'E' key (the latch was broken). They got him a new 'E' key right away.

I hear he also recently took his iBook in for the backlight problem. The Apple Care warranty is 3 years, but that's such a common problem that there was a class action lawsuit at one time, and Apple now fixes that problem for practically anyone with the right iBook.

Back