• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x1gb OCZ perf. problems. Can't hit decent FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kosmic

Seems that my 2 gigs of OCZ don't like high FSB, EVEN with a divider. (?) I've tested them on a DFI UT NF4 SLI and also Asus A8N Sli Deluxe. The highest FSB I can do is 230~235 with the sticks, even if they're on a divider, which is strange to me that they still won't run when the fsb is high despite running at a lower frequency.

I saw a guy in this thread who took the same sticks to 250fsb 1:1 at CL 2.5: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=395335&page=6&pp=30
His results are at the very bottom of that page.

Has anybody else had a similar problem? I put 2 512mb sticks into the DFI, set the FSB to 250 and I'm priming fine for a while now. The OCZ sticks wouldn't even boot into windows at the same fsb, even when on a divider. I tried a wide range of voltages, too...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kos

I'm sorry Kosmic, i forgot to go back and edit that post. The modules did go memtest clean at those speeds but failed p95 after a few minutes.
So right now i'm running mine at 3-3-3-8 1T 2.75v 246x11 1:1. I've done nothing special other than mount an 80mm fan to blow down on sticks.

Last edited:
What voltage are you running at? You may also want to try testing with an 8x CPU multi as some of the new SD CPU's dont like high FSB + high CPU speed

Scar: I'd be happy to just get them stable at 240fsb, because that seems to be the sweet spot for my processor -- 245 needs too much voltage to be stable and I'm ok with running it at 2640.

SteveOCZ: Could the San Diego memory controller be having a problem with handling 2 gigs? It seems fine at 240 with 2 512mb models (Adata PC4000), but with the 2 gigs of OCZ, 230ish is the best I’ve had so far. I’ve tried 2.7 up to 3.0 volts on the DFI and about the same on the Asus boards.

Hmm, i know it's not desirable but try 3-4-4-8 just to see where it gets you.

You read my mind, scar. I tested at SPD up to 3v and actually did the best at 2.9v with 1hr 19 minutes of prime. 3.0v & 2.7v failed at 17 minutes -- I didn't test 2.8v, though. 2.6 wouldn't finish booting windows. This is with just one stick installed for testing. When I find the limits of this stick, I'll test the other one. Good thing I have a dedicated, non overclocked work rig! :)

HEY, question... Any advice on what to set DRAM idle timer to? default on the mobo was 256, which seems a bit high (?) At SPD it defaults to 16...

*update* oh sheet...at 3-4-4-8-14-256 (as read in cpu-z) and 2.9v prime failed after just ONE minute! It actually did better at SPD of 3-3-3-8 at 2.9v on this stick. I'm going to test stick #2 to see if it gives me more love than #1 now...

Last edited:
Try setting the memory speed to 200 with 2-2-2 timings while OCing the CPU as high as you can, you will get very decent performance according to this. Its worth a shot :)

I think I tried cas 2.5 at 200fsb and wasn't stable there, either. 2 1gb sticks is a different game than 2 512s, apparently...

Flip-Mode said:
Try setting the memory speed to 200 with 2-2-2 timings while OCing the CPU as high as you can, you will get very decent performance according to this. Its worth a shot :)

Kosmic said:
Seems that my 2 gigs of OCZ don't like high FSB, EVEN with a divider. (?) I've tested them on a DFI UT NF4 SLI and also Asus A8N Sli Deluxe. The highest FSB I can do is 230~235 with the sticks, even if they're on a divider, which is strange to me that they still won't run when the fsb is high despite running at a lower frequency.

I saw a guy in this thread who took the same sticks to 250fsb 1:1 at CL 2.5: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=395335&page=6&pp=30
His results are at the very bottom of that page.

Has anybody else had a similar problem? I put 2 512mb sticks into the DFI, set the FSB to 250 and I'm priming fine for a while now. The OCZ sticks wouldn't even boot into windows at the same fsb, even when on a divider. I tried a wide range of voltages, too...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kos

I have the exact same problem. When I run the divider (216, 9/10), my comp hangs, even though the sticks are at or just below 200. I know it isn't my FX-55, because my mushkin will go up to 260 without a hitch. They run 200FSB at their timings clean, but won't do anything else. I can't even get memtest to pass at 205 with 2.8v. Keep me posted with what you end up with and what timings you use. I will try to duplicate.

Last edited:
are these the timings you're looking for?

Attachments

• mem_timings.JPG
    mem_timings.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 143
Thanks, that's the screenshot I wanted.

It looks like the best I'm going to get from the memory is 235fsb, but that's not so bad because my CPU is only really good for 240x11 without having to go for a MAJOR voltage bump, so the speed difference at 235 isn't a big deal. I just finished 10 hours of prime95 at 235 with the DFI board, which is more than I was getting out of the A8N *and* no hard drive corruption when I pushed things to unstable speeds like the A8N did to me four or five times. Definitely going to keep using the DFI.

Rio: yes, I'm just at SPD for every setting. These sticks seem to like that the best. I think I just got a pair that's not so high up on the overclocking scale. Oh well, it happens...

Back