• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1gig better than 2gig for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jacobman

Ive been reading up on some of the other threads and been seeing that 2gigs(2x1gig) arent good at overclocking. And that say the OCZ EL platinum rev.2 1gig set is going to like 315fsb. So what do you do if you like to overclock and none of the current 2gig sets are doing it, do you just buy another 1gig of the ram you have and force it to run 2t? Or are just smack outa luck?

Jacobman said:
Ive been reading up on some of the other threads and been seeing that 2gigs(2x1gig) arent good at overclocking. And that say the OCZ EL platinum rev.2 1gig set is going to like 315fsb. So what do you do if you like to overclock and none of the current 2gig sets are doing it, do you just buy another 1gig of the ram you have and force it to run 2t? Or are just smack outa luck?

Yeah it is definately true that 1GB sticks don't overclock as well as 512mb modules, but the Ballistix 1GB can hit up around ~280mhz (in dual channel).

But in the socket 939 world it doesn't matter that much anyway. CPU speed is King and with a divider you get hit the same CPU speeds that all the 1GB 300+FSB people can hit. Yes there is a slight loss of bandwidth, but in almost all real world siuations it isn't even noticable.

In general, I'd sacrifice overclocking abilities for more RAM any day. Actually I do alot of benching, but I will let that go also. Since I've seen BF2 on my friends rig with 2GB of RAM, I dont care about benchmark scores anymore.

Since I had two Crucial BallistiX 3200 that did 250MHz at 2.5-3-3-6 at 2.8v I thought about getting another two. But I think running memory at 200MHz and 2-3-2-5 1T timings is faster than running it at 250MHz and 2.5-3-3-6 2T. Or at least its just as fast. My HTT is 300 at the moment and Im using a Multi of 8x (Venice @ 2.4GHz). So, 2x1GB all the way as far as Im concerned.

Back