• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nvidia Nforce4 Intel SLI???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

screwtech02

Does anyone know of 1 of the above chipset boards that will actually hold a overclock??? I have had a Biostar, and now the Asus P5ND2-SLI, that are just plain crap... You set the bios up like you normaly would, then just as soon as you hit windows and check it with cpu-z its all back to stock settings.. Then you try the included "overclocking" software, it sets stuff and reboots a couple times, you think your doing great, then check it with cpu-z just to find the stock fsb/proc settings once again... Is it just me, or does the Nforce4 chipset suck??? I have been thinking about the Epox SLI board, but dont want to throw anonther $200 away for another un-overclockable board... If someone would come out and say weather or not Nvidia is going to enable SLI, or for certain ATI's Crossfire is going to be "for sure" a go in the 955 chipset i would get one of those boards, but i have heard nothing but "vague" rumors of such things...

System specs:

P-4 640/64bit
Asus P5ND2-SLI
2x1024 PQI PC2/5400
2xBFG6800GT/OC
1xseagate160gigSata(NCQ)
2xseagate80gigSata(raid 0)
Seasonic 600watt ps
1xdvdrom
1xdvd/rw
1floppy
XP64pro

This setup wont even run a stable 50hrtz overclock, or attempt to keep it set within windows at any rate... It should in "theory" be a stable 4.0 box...
Maybe i'm expecting too much.... :bang head :bang head

Well, instead of wasting money on a new board, you could try to flash the bios back to one of the older versions (eg. 0705). It's apparently a known problem with the newer bioses for this board that overclocks won't stick in windows. Until that problem gets resolved, I suggest you try the aforementioned bios (0705)...

Oh, and be sure to let Asus know about the problem. I've seen quite a lot of other people having this exact same problem with the new bios, so they need to be made aware that it's not working correctly.

I'd love to try that bios, but since my board is NOT a DELUXE version, there are only 2 bios's that i know of for it. If i could use a DELUXE version to flash it, and knew it would solve the issues, it would have happened by now.....

Thank's for the reply, i was starting to beleive that ASUS tech support was based here also.... :p

Ah.. *slaps hand on forehead*

Didn't quite catch that you had the non-deluxe version. Well, flashing the motherboard with a deluxe bios isn't something I'd reccomend, but have you checked if there exists older bioses for the non-deluxe card? It might be that the overclocking problem is something that has been introduced in newer bioses for both cards. I suppose (this is pure conjecture though) that there are a lot of similarity between the bioses for both cards and that they're written pretty simultaneously. Therefore I gather it's a possibility that an older bios might work properly, as it does for the Deluxe board. Of course, doing that might introduce other problems, but I suppose it could be worth a shot..

Well, there are only 2 availible for the non-deluxe board, although the support cd has both the deluxe, and non on it. Tried it with Autoupdate, and it said wrong bios detected.

Well, i finially got a reply from ASUS tech(not)support, and they said it was a "hardware related" issue concerning my mem, proc, power supply, ect, ect, ect..

They never "directly" answered my questions about the bios not keeping its settings within a windows enviornment, imagine that.... :rolleyes:

So now i'm going to wait another 2 weeks for somebody to translate my email, and get back to me...

(probably still telling me its not a problem on there end)

Although i pasted a link to there own support forums and all the posts about the Nforce4 SLI chipset issues. But, i thought they didnt have any problems?? Just ask em, they'll tell you..... :rolleyes:

It's very simple. The Nforce 4 Intel Ed (c19 MCP4) chipset simply sucks. Every single board regardless of manufacturer has identical issues. I've been struggeling with an Abit NI8 SLI myself, and I know a lot of people with P5ND2 SLI who have exactly the same problems as I do.

And I've run with only SLI certified components, even Nvidia recommended memory modules. Getting them to run at even their rated timings is a completely impossible task.

Compared to my Asus P5WD2 (955x) board, the Nforce chipset is so inferior in every way, except it's ability to run in SLI mode. However with the issues it has, most times my games actually run much better with just a single video card in my P5WD2.

Either Nvidia are completely incompetent at making an Intel chipset or they just don't give a damn about Intel/SLI. Who knows, I even thought for a time that maybe they made it a poor chipset on purpose because it has SO many issues that one would think they'd have at least spotted one or 2 of them before release.....

Back