• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mixed ram ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ericcase

Registered
I just put this pc together and I bought another gig from outpost.com which isn't dual channel like the first gig I bought a while back from them. :bang head Will I suffer any perfomance loss from not having all dual channel? If so where can you still find 2x512 Geil ultra 3200 dual channel w/ 2.0 6-3-3 ?

A given type of RAM is not inherently "Dual Channel", although some RAM is "matched" (read tested/binned) to provide a higher chance of better performance/stability in a dual-channel setup.

Using "mixed" RAM in a 128-bit memory bus therefore, may or may not cause problems. The more pressing issue you may face here is the fact that you'll have 4 modules in an a8v, which MAY require you to command rate to 2T before you can post.

*edit/addendum

Looking at your existing timings, they seem a bit slack; I'd imagine that at or close to those timings, just about any decent RAM should work.

My rig is running fine , I need to buy some ram for my amd 3200+ before I give it to my younger brother. If my computer will run faster with all dual channel , I'll buy some more dual for me and give him the non dual for the 754 socket 3200+.If it makes no difference at all i'll keep it and get him a 1 gig single module so he can upgrade later for gaming and stuff.

Back