• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P4P800 Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frozenwings

Hello, I recently had a video card die and I've just found my old card. But now some new problems have come up. After a fresh install of windows, I loaded up the mobo driver CD. I find that my onboard ethernet is read as "PCI device" instead of ethernet controller, and after installing the onboard sound, I get no sound. I can't seem to install any new PCI device either. I had an old sound card and even bought a new ethernet card today. Both are recognized, but I cant install the drivers for either. I get a message saying that it could not be installed, yet I manually chose the folder to search for it. It doesn't even look like it tries to search for the driver. I've reformatted the same hard drive with this mobo about 3 or 4 times in the past 2 years, and have never had a problem reinstalling the drivers. I flashed the bios to the newest version, and even installed the newest chipset (865) drivers from intel. I think there is something wrong with the plug and play feature. Does anyone have any ideas? I really don't feel like buying another motherboard. Thanks a lot for any help.

Last edited:
Frozenwings said:
Hello, I recently had a video card die and I've just found my old card. But now some new problems have come up. After a fresh install of windows, I loaded up the mobo driver CD. I find that my onboard ethernet is read as "PCI device" instead of ethernet controller, and after installing the onboard sound, I get no sound. I can't seem to install any new PCI device either. I had an old sound card and even bought a new ethernet card today. Both are recognized, but I cant install the drivers for either. I get a message saying that it could not be installed, yet I manually chose the folder to search for it. It doesn't even look like it tries to search for the driver. I've reformatted the same hard drive with this mobo about 3 or 4 times in the past 2 years, and have never had a problem reinstalling the drivers. I flashed the bios to the newest version, and even installed the newest chipset (865) drivers from intel. I think there is something wrong with the plug and play feature. Does anyone have any ideas? I really don't feel like buying another motherboard. Thanks a lot for any help.

Well from what I understand, the ethernet controller aswell as some other deviceswill come up as a "pci device" because it's all run off of the pci bus. You must install the pci bus drivers first, then It will say"found new ethernet controller". Just my .02.

As far as I can tell, the drivers for the PCI bus are installed. I'm pretty sure those are covered in the chipset drivers. Like I said, I normally just pop in the driver cd and load up the chipset, audio and ethernet drivers. I don't know what is so different this time. Could it be that something happened to my motherboard and that is what killed my video card? As far as I can tell, the AGP slot is fine as I can update my video card drivers. Maybe something happened to the chipset, but I was under the impression that if the chipset died, that the mobo would too. Who knows?

I've had alot of problems with my board as well. Mostly regarding USB usage ... :-X. All my USB hubs still act as USB 1.1, even though the 2.0 drivers were installed from the CD. (on my 3rd board ta-boot)

i'd suggest just letting windows "search" for drivers, or try a new fresh installation of windows.

I had the problems before, but I was hoping that flashing the bios would help. I think I might just buy a new motherboard. I've tried just about everything you can do, and I'm willing to bet something just died on my motherboard.

Back