• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:welcome: to the forums.

I'm not up on my AMD stuff right now, so I'll let someone else do the rating.

PS none of your links work - maybe just post what you were thinking without links next time. It would make for a shorter and easier to read post as well.

Yea when I was posting it another forum I just wanted it to be in depth, so it ended up long. Now I gotta fix those links...great.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm sure I will learn mounds!

Links should be fixed.

EDIT: Sorry for the super long post, I am learning now. Will not happen in the future.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums,

Your system looks great, but since you're definately going to be overclocking get a different PSU. I would bet that the antec would limit your overclock. Since you're spending a lot on the other components you should be looking into a better PSU, at the minimum a fortron 500w but it would probably be better to get either an PCZ 520w powerstream, or a fortron 550w and switch out the fan to a 120mm (It's not hard and doesn't void the warranty) so it's quieter.

One other thing, if you care at all about silence, get a zalman northbridge heatsink and switch it out for that stupid fan on your motherboard. I hate those little fans and my case quiet after i switched it out. They'll run you $5-6 bucks and are worth every penny. Also, make sure you get the NJ32 because I doubt the 46 will fit under the zalman 7700.
As for the rating... an 8/10 mostly for the things i've mentioned and the rest for personal changes I would make, but all in all a solid system.

I think it is a good idea to get a fortron, the 500w is only $20 more than the antec. Nice system :), I want that video card.

Thanks for the comments.

This seems to be the PSU you guys are talking about.

That sounds good, I was skeptical about the PSU, a friend of mine emphasized not to skimp on it and I was not really sure.

I this the Heatsink you were talking about? I didn't really know about cooling past a CPU heatsink and fans so I never thought of it.

Thanks for all the replies, I want to get a good computer the first time. I want it to be "perfect", so I am looking for tons of opinions. So far people seem to think it is pretty good so I am happy. :)

I would drop the 3500 and get 3200, or maybe a 3000. Probably a 3200, as it gives you a 10x multiplyer. They all overclock about the same. I dont like western digital hardrives, I would get a seagate, but that is from past experience.

If I were to get the 3000 or 3200, would they preform the same?

Looks like a nice 3000 Venice

Let me know what you think.

Also how are the fans I have selected, I am curious if I selected some good ones.

I'd recommend a NEC 3540A or 3520 for your DVD burner, it's just a personal preference. There's heavy support for them at the CDFreaks.com forums.

One thing, for your fans, you have this listed...
FAN 1:ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan
FAN 2:ZALMAN ZM-OP1 80mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan
Those are heatsinks not case fans, so you won't want them this since you're getting an XP-90. I'd also go for the XP-90C, as it is obviously better. (Copper) I'd get Panaflo's for your case fans, they vary by speed depending on what you want. Check Sidewindercomputers.com and SVC.com as should have better prices on cooling stuff than Newegg. Both are also reputable, check resellerratings.com.

I'd also get an OCZ PowerStream 520W as recommended above.

Everything else seems good to me. :D

EDIT: As I look at it again, I prefer Seagate's and Hitachi's HD offerings. However, it's just personal preference. Check the Storage forums as they may be able to help you more.

Last edited:
I'd rather have a better power supply to run it all, rather than a really good processor that isn't go to work with a cheap-o.

What? The PSU I put is cheap?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104968

This one is the one I switched to. (posted above)

Better processor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103535

Different case too, decided I relly didn't like the other one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119077

Nano, not really in the market to get a dvd burner yet (strange huh) but once I feel the need to get one I wil be sure to check those.

Also THANKS! for pointing out my fan mistake :bang head silly me.

Recomend any fans? Off new egg though. I wanna buy it all from there in bulk.

Also for HDD other god brands, I see some people have problems with WD.

Last edited:
You should get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104934

It's only a bit more expensive then the one you choose, but this one has passive PFC.
Some may say the Fortons are a bit entry level OCer type of PSU, so if you want to OC pretty extremely, the OCZ Powerstream 520W is great for mid to high level OCing.

For your CPU, you should either move up to a 3700+, or drop to a 3200+.

You might want to change your 7800GTX to a eVGA or BFG one, I've heard bad comments on XFX's customer support.

Okay, whipped up a new and (hopefully) improved model.

Case : COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis

Motherboard : DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939

Memory : crucial 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered (2x)

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120026A 120GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100

Power Supply : FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A ATX12V 500W

Video Card: BFG Tech BFGR78256GTXOC Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Optical Drive: LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive

Optical Drive 2 : NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A

Heatsink : THERMALRIGHT XP-90

Northbridge Heatsink : ZALMAN ZM-NB32J Aluminium Northbridge Chipset Cooling Kit

120mm Fan: VANTEC SF12025L 120mm 2 Ball

80mm Fan: MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm

COST: $1508

This is the updated system. Tell me what you think about the newly selected parts. I tried to follow the suggestions.

Last edited:
I say, FSP 550 and Seasonic S-12 600w would be my choices for PSU.
And haven't you forgotten a fan? Or do you have a 92mm for the XP-90c?
Still i would prefer putting out another $20 on a NEC3540 instead of using a DVDdrive, i know your not in market for one. But its a easy backup unit if need is arised.
If you don't need a windowside, might i suggest the Antec slk3000b, cheap case with good solutions.
Its all a personal preferences, the choices you have made so far are good ones.

//Christian

I'd get the normal XP-90 instead of the copper one. The temperature difference you'd get is minor, and not worth the extra $ or added weight. For a 92mm fan I would suggest one of the Panaflos. I'd take the money you saved on the heatsink and use it to get the NEC burner Sshadow suggested.

Other than that, it's looking great.

Ok, I was looking around the memory section and decided I want 2 GB.

I read the sticky and came across this

What do you think about that?

Also, is not getting the copper worth it? It's only 20 bucks more and out of a 1400 dollar computer 20 isnt that much. Also, I just cannot bring myself to get the burner. I am trying to save some money so I can get it sooner but I keep stumbling over things like RAM where I have the urge too add more.

Tell me what you think.

Was also wondering if my moniter will have problems with the video card.

A guy at work said it would be like hooking up an expensive stereo system to headphones.

I have a 19" Magview CRT, 60/50 HZ, Model 986M, 100-240 V, Prodeuct number VM900E, from September of 2000. I really do not want to have to buy a new moniter right away, but I do plan to get one as christmas nears. Will this be good till then?

Also, is this system going to be bottlenecked?

Last edited:
Back