• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doabackflip

Registered
ok a guy from the xodide forums told me to ask here about my motherboard problems.... well atleast i think its my motherboard im not really sure.. well heres whats goin on.. about two weeks ago i started up my computer and i smelled burning plastic.. i wasnt sure what it was so i opened it up and checked.. i was pretty sure it was the hard drive, so i tryed starting it up just to see what would happen. it would turn on and just stay at the main motherboard screen.. i couldnt get in the bios .. i couldn't do anything.. everyone at the xoxide forums said it was my motherboard, so i baught the msi k8m neo v mother board, zalman heat sink and an amd 64 2800.. i got everything hooked up... and i turned it on and the same thing happend?? i have no idea what else to try ive tryed a new power supply, and i ve tryed a few differant hard drives? any help would be good...

Welcome to the Forums!!

Wow. Sorry to hear about this. First thing comes to mind is what is your house power voltage running, and is the red power supply switch toggled to match it? (Can't ignore the obvious.)

Also- you didn't mention what RAM you are using.

Have you installed the board into a case first? Or are you building on an open bench? Did you try posting with just the CPU, HS/F, RAM and video card installed?

well first off.. thanks for the reply... and well my ram is pc2700 corsair value select...and yea its installed in my case, and no i havent tryred with just booting it up with the bare minimum.. i will try tommorow.. ill tell u more tommorow once i try doing that.. and its got onboard video so i can take my video card off too... heres a coupla pictures just for fun..

gayyyyyyyyy-013.png

gayyyyyyyyy-014.png

alright so i just unplugged my ide1 and ide2 and now it boots up ang i can get in teh bios.. i dunno whats up with that.... im gunna go see if i can hook up one or the otehr to see what one is bad

k now i just plugged in my single hard drive with windows on it and it boots fine... but if i go to plug my other hard drive in it wont boot.. could it be becasue that hard drive went bad?? and now a screen comes up that says like all of my stuff ive got and one says cmos/somethin i cant remember/bad... so now im clearing my cmos and im gunna go try again

cmos/gpnv/ checksum bad..... thats what it says it doesnt say anything about this in the manual?? and now i cant get it to get to the windows screen anymore

Last edited:
Try another HDD cable on that second drive.

Also- to really reset the CMOS, powerdown, unplug the PSU and pop out the CMOS battery, and let sit for 5-10 mins. Thats the sure-fire way to reset the CMOS.

Hopefully everyting will come back after that.

Nice photos btw :)

alright well its getten kinda late so ill try takin out that battery tommorow... and do u mean change the hard drive cable or the cd drive cable, im pretty sure tehres nothing wron with them, becasue it says on the screen that says cmos bad or whetever that is detects both the hard drive and the disk drive thats plugged in.. im pretty sure the reason it was doing that at the beggining was either becasue my burner went bad or my slave hard drive went bad.. im nots sure yet but ill try to figure out tommorow.. tahnks for the help so far

k i took the battery out and put it back in adn now it says cmos settings wrong?
edit*.. now its back to saying the same thing

Last edited:
The CMOS checksum error usually pops up for me after a failed OC or when something in the system is semi-borked.

I would try replacing the IDE cable as drshivas suggested. If the system works with one drive but not both, it's probably either the cable that's hooked up to that drive or the drive itself. Based on the burning smell that you said was coming from the HD I'd lean to the latter, but if it's just a $5 cable instead of a whole HD I'd be much happier :)

JigPu

well ive got a junk power supply that i got for free, but i tryed another power supply and nothing cahnged, now it wont start up even if i dont have anything plugged in... like it ownt start even when i have both ide's unplugged... ive try another power supply and it did the sam thing.. bu till try it again just to make sure.
thanks

Backup a moment- can you get it to post with just CPU/RAM and video? Unplug any and all drive cables. If you can get it to post, thats great. From that point, try one drive/cable combination until you isolate the bad component.

i could right at the begging now i cant anymore... now its just staying at the screen that says cmos checksum bad, or if u plug in either a slave hard drive, or a slave disk drive it just stays at the motherboard screen.... i guess its kindof weird....

Back