• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scant7

My friends computer is currently OC'd. We Overclocked the cpu but left the memory stock. I was wondering if these timings are at its optimal settings, or if they're no good

CPU-Z Readings

p4 3.2 @ 4.0
Multi: x16
FSB: 250
Bus Speed: 1000.2

Memory DR2-SDRAM (2 x 512)
4-4-4-12
Frequency: 333.4
FSB;DRAM = 3:4

Last edited:
That's a good start. You have to play with it a little to see if you can get more out of it. So you are saying that 4,4,4,12 are the manufacture's rated timings. What DDR is that mem? and who makes it?

OK that mem is DDR533. So it's stock settings are 266 @ 3,3,3,8. So you have them running at 333 @ 4,4,4,12, "By SPD". That just doesn't seem like much of a stretch for them. If it were my mem, the first thing I'd do is create a Mem86 boot disk with the very most current version. You don't want to be booting into WIn to do this testing. If the mem is overstressed, it can kill a Win installation.

"By SPD" will generally pick very conservative timings. So if you are OK with the 333 freguency, I'd try some timings like 3,3,3,8 or 4,3,3,8. You may be surprised to see that mem hold fairly tight timings at 333. If you are into high bandwidth, try a higher ratio at 5,4,4,8 and see if you can get them stable in the DDR700 range

I honestly dont know much about memory oc. Setting the timings to 3-3-3-8 and 4-3-3-8 causes my system to freeze. Is it possible to increase frequencies? Are higher frequencies better? If so how can i change them and what timings would be suitable. Im using 3-4-4-8 with very little improvement from 4-4-4-12

Setting the timings to 3-3-3-8 and 4-3-3-8 causes my system to freeze.
That's why it's a good idea to boot into Memtest86 while you are playing around with timings. Did you increase you mem voltage. It is on the same screen as the Frequencies. Set it at the max of 2.3v. If that doesn't help, then 4,4,4,12 is prolly the best youare going to get with that mem. You can infrease the frequency, but you might have to loosen the timings to hold stable at a higher frequency. But it is worth a try to go to a higher frequency at 4,4,4,12 and see if you are stable. If so, that means you are just running your mem a little faster.

If so how can i change them and what timings would be suitable.
There is no quick and easy answer to this question. You just have to make minor adjustments and then test until you find the the fastest combination of frequency and timings. You are off to a good start. Just be patient. Try a higher frequency at 4,4,4,12 and see if you are stable.

Back