• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement for IC7-G board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iceage

My waterblock developed a small leak and dripped onto my 9600xt and ic7-g. Pretty sure both are fried. I'm moving on to the 775/939 frontier but I want to leave folding the 3.2E I still have.

Any suggestions on a replacement board for the IC7-G. I've been watching them on ebay and still haven't landed a deal.

I plan a modest OC, to 3.6-3.8.

Or do you think its worth keeping a 478 3.2E Prescott?

I like my 3.2 and running on the ic7-g. I plan to move into the new generation chips one day but I see no reason to now. Nothing I have done with my current system has even bogged it at all. I figure I will wait until my current will not do something I want it to and then upgrade. No telling what chips will be out by then. A new mobo and video card is a lot cheaper than a whole new system. However money may not be an issue for you so then I would do whatever makes you happy.

I would suggest going back with the ic7 even if it ends up as a backup system.

The Prescott is a great CPU! I'd go with the same baord you had since you want to OC. It's a good stable board, and works well with the Prescott's.

Like =AG= Devilhorse, I plan to upgrade, but nothing I've seen really grabs me right now. I'm waiting until The desktop Yonah's come out and then will build another system, but this one will still be running strong even then. The new system will not be to replace this one, just add to the arsenal. :)

You have a great CPU, it a great OC'ing CPU. The reason I'd stick with the IC7-G is the mosfet's. They are higher rated than some of the other cheaper boards. If you get another IC7-G, you know that all your hardware will simply plug right in, and there will be no guesswork. You already know what your BIOS settings will be too basically. At a relatively mild OC it's a guarantee it'll be stable with that board too.

If you went with another board, you'll have to reformat your drives or the Window's config may not get along with a different board. I think it's much easier to stick with what you had working. :)

Back