• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Check out my config. add comments.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tristan_OC

Registered
PSU : OCZ Powestream 600W ATX2.0
Processor : AMD 64 X2 Dual Core
Heatsink : ThermalrightXP-120 + Delta
Motherboard : DFi LanParty NF4 SLi-DR PCI-E
RAM : Mushkin DDR RAM XP4000 PC4000 DDR500
GFX : XFX 6800GT PCI-E 256MB DDR3
VGA FAN : Zalman VF700-CU
HDD : DiamondMax 10 200GB 7200RPM
Drives : Plextor PX-716AL DVD+/- RW
Cooling : 2 x 80mm Fans outtake (REAR), 1 x 80mm VGA/CPU Fan intake (SIDE), 2 x 80mm Fans intake HDD bays (Front)

Please post comments, possilbe upgrades, anything i've missed, or anyway i can save some money! I would also be greateful if you would advise me on RAM cooling without modding my case, bearing in mind the Mushkins come with heat spreaders, and also any other cooling.

Regards
Tristan

P.S. - Many thanks to Tyreal5000 for the help!

what case? I'd personally consider a case with 120mm fans

as for the DVD-RW, the Sata DVD-RWs provide no bonuses over regular IDE DVDs burner besides the optimal cooling capabilities that the SATA cables provide, if you wanna save yourself some dough, opt for a NEC 3540A

as for the hard drive, not a fan of Maxtor, I would personally go for Seagate or Hitachi.

as for the ram cooling, any case with proper airflow is more than enough cooling for you ram.

The Thermaltake Armor series is pretty big and has good ventilation.

Processor : AMD 64 X2 Dual Core

What kind of dual core? 3800+, 4400+?

I highly highly doubt you need a OCZ 600W, looking at your configuration, you'll never need 600W, unless you add two 7800GTXs.

I like Plextors, it's a great choice, look at the new Plextor they have out, I think it was the PX-740? It's cheaper then the one you choose and gives better results.

You might not need the SLI motherboard, unless you really plan to add a second video card within 2 or 3 months.

They sell ram heatsinks with a few 60mm fans on top, but yeah, ventilation or any fan blowing towards it will work too.

Drop the SLI, drop down to a OCZ Powerstream 520W, get a different HDD, and you might have enough money leftover to get a 7800GTX instead.

oops, i forgot a few things, sorry it was 5am when i posted.

AMD 64 X2 3800 Dual Core
Antec 1080AMG

I have made some of the recommended changes.

PSU : OCZ 520W Powerstream ATX2
CPU : AMD 64 X2 3800 Dual Core
Motherboard : DFi LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D
HDD : Maxtor Diamondmax 10 200GB 7200RPM
GFX : XFX GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3
RAM : 1 GB Mushkin DDR XP4000 PC4000 DDR500
Heatsink : ThrermalrightXP-120 + Delta
VGA Cooler : Zalman VF700-CU
Cooling : remains the same!
Case : Antec 1080AMG

Last edited:
He wants to keep that maxtor hard drive because that is the one he is currently using and wants to keep it.

@darksparkz: can you tell me what the model of the plextor is?

About ram cooling: When we looked into the mushkin ram for him, it said that active cooling was required because of the really high stock voltages it requires (3.X). Is a fan blowing across it enough still?

@Tristan: No problem

Back