• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you upgrade first?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BLcK

Im profoundly confused on what part of my computer i should upgrade, so disregard exactly what i have and consider what would be more enjoyable :D
(im bound to get all of these sooner or later but which comes first?!?!?)

1) get new mobo to start overclocking for the first time
2) softmodding a x800proto a xt pe(dont have yet) which would be my first time for flashing a bios
3) get a new case, so I can reconfigure my custom fanless h2o rig (my radiator is sticking out about 3~4 inches out of a 5'1/4 bay - there isnt enough room for it to go inside/cheapy case <_< and i didnt buy it is what counts)

what i am considering
1) will spend about $150 for either an abit or asus board
2) buying an oem X800pro w/ ViVo for $248 total
3) Thermaltake tsunami w/ x-window and a 400w PSU ~$150 on ebay (doesnt hurt to plan for a spare ^_^)

Thoughts? comments?

ditch the thermaltake tower...I would avoid buying brand name towers, in fact the only one I personaly think worthwhile is the antec lanboy...excellent layout and cooling.
The knock offs function the same and cost less...you can talk to me day and night about "how sturdy it's constructed" or blah blah, but in the end it's the outside looks, and airflow that matter.

Not sure on the vivo mod.....but that seems to me to be the biggest performance boost. OCing CPU doesn't really do much except increase your ego and benchmarks (Although it's fun as hell and I encourage it...the video card offers more performancem, unless your talking massive OC's like mine :p).

So my order would be, video card, case, MB...cuz looks of the case are nice because I see it all day long

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

I agree with ajrettke in principle. However, the case is extremely important from the point of view that internal layout, ease of opening the case and servicing components, airflow, and capacity for upgrades (number of bays, etc.) are fundamental to staying current with technology. If your current case is cramped, then the best money spent will be on a case that makes it easy to upgrade and maintain your technology edge.

Remember that pc technology is rolling over to a new vintage every 6 months or so. You can get way out of date in a short time.

Money really isnt an object to me since i got quite a bit of it. The main reason y i proposed a new case was not to improve air flow as my entire computer, except the psu, is fanless so i have no need to worry about airflow but to make my future plans for the space as i originally considered the Thermaltake armor at first but i didnt want to shell out ~$150 for just the case. Since i will be getting a new video card, mobo in the future I may need to use fans as my cheap fanless w/c solution to not using fans on the radiator may not be enough to with stand an OC + OC'ed X800 as i will need to recalculate exactly how many watts i will need to get rid of.

JimmyG said:
Remember that pc technology is rolling over to a new vintage every 6 months or so. You can get way out of date in a short time.
Just cuz im new doesnt mean i dont know anything ^_^ i've been workin on computers since i was 11 and have been workin in retail- electronics for 3 years

Last edited:
I'd do the case first, because they'll eventually release the new SLI X16 motherboards, and that should cause a price drop on the older motherboards.

Get the video card last, because, as soon as the 7800GTX Ultras and the 7800GTX AGP models come out, the 7800GTXs will drop a bit in price, and maybe even drop into your price range.

BLcK said:
Money really isnt an object to me since i got quite a bit of it. The main reason y i proposed a new case was not to improve air flow as my entire computer, except the psu, is fanless so i have no need to worry about airflow but to make my future plans for the space as i originally considered the Thermaltake armor at first but i didnt want to shell out ~$150 for just the case. Since i will be getting a new video card, mobo in the future I may need to use fans as my cheap fanless w/c solution to not using fans on the radiator may not be enough to with stand an OC + OC'ed X800 as i will need to recalculate exactly how many watts i will need to get rid of.

Just cuz im new doesnt mean i dont know anything ^_^ i've been workin on computers since i was 11 and have been workin in retail- electronics for 3 years

well if you are running a extra quiet setup, you might want to at least have SOME airflow, becuase those passive Heat sinks dont do jack if you dont move air off them

darksparkz said:
I'd do the case first, because they'll eventually release the new SLI X16 motherboards, and that should cause a price drop on the older motherboards.

Get the video card last, because, as soon as the 7800GTX Ultras and the 7800GTX AGP models come out, the 7800GTXs will drop a bit in price, and maybe even drop into your price range.

im a cheap guy but i dont mind spending 250ish, well i do mind a little - im cheap after all XP, for a new vid card since ive been wanting one for a while. anything above the 3bill mark (total) is way more than what i want to spend.

shard said:
well if you are running a extra quiet setup, you might want to at least have SOME airflow, becuase those passive Heat sinks dont do jack if you dont move air off them

no need since and they usuallly can take around 100C before failure and temps never go beyond 55C +/-3 though that 55 appeared for a sec then went to 52, so its all good (intel specs say it should be kept at 50 - not only that ive been running my rig like this for a few months)

Sshadow said:
Well, i agree to darksparkz somewhat :)

PSU clicky , Case clicky Newegg Case Click (FSP 550-60PLN and Antec SLK3000b for budget solution) totalling to $148
After that GPU and last Mobo

//Christian

i could get a decent psu and a nice looking case for a bit less bout 20ish (top of my head) since ive already found a tsunami on ebay with a 400w true power PSU which seems much more appealing to me.

everyone has brought up their point nicely, but hmmmmmm im still wondering what i should do. My thought is to wait until october so i can see what intel has to offer their 3rd party resellers and decide if i will upgrade my mobo and cpu. so im definitely going to hold off on the mobo. Im leading towards a new case, but its just so hard to make a decision :) since im going moreover for a case any recomendations or know of something similar in looks to the thermaltake tsunami, NZXT trinity cases with a large side window? just my personal taste to have something that looks somewhat plain, bold and sleek :cool:

Case upto 150 or a case about 150.. ;)

Other choices than the TT Tsunami
About $150 i would say TT Armor costs $154
OR a CM Stacker @ $158.50
Upto $150 i have to go for ATRIX CSCI-G8022C-C43 @ $59 Misa lika the emblem in the front.
OR a Silverstone TJ06 black with full sidewindow @ $141.49
OR a CM Wave Master (No window) @ $144.50
All prices from Newegg.

//Christian

Sshadow said:
Case upto 150 or a case about 150.. ;)

Other choices than the TT Tsunami
About $150 i would say TT Armor costs $154
OR a CM Stacker @ $158.50
Upto $150 i have to go for ATRIX CSCI-G8022C-C43 @ $59 Misa lika the emblem in the front.
OR a Silverstone TJ06 black with full sidewindow @ $141.49
OR a CM Wave Master (No window) @ $144.50
All prices from Newegg.

//Christian

ATRIX CSCI-G8022C-C43 :clap: i think we have a winner here since my full alias is BLckShDwDraGoN - this case blows away TT's selection all i need to do now is see if i can find a black light cathode lighting tube (havent seen any)
what i really meant to say by ~$150 was a total cost of around 150 which includes shipping and tax my apologies :( since i live in CA newegg will charge me tax! :cry:

if money isnt' really an object than just do all of it and get it done....

Janus67 said:
if money isnt' really an object than just do all of it and get it done....

Thats like telling president bush to pull out of iraq <_< or like telling that north korean dictator to grow some balls and feed his country instead of trying to make more nukes. (no offense - political/patriotic) and i carefully plan and aim for certain prices since im a cheapskate, got it? :rolleyes:

I can recomend this case: http://www.dealsonic.com/skmssialatxm.html

I modded it, changed the from 80mm into a 120mm and the rear 80mm into a 92mm. The bottom fan sits in a perfect spot to cool my video card(blowing in), and the top fan is perfect for helping out my cpu cooler. I have never tried to watercool in this case, but I think you could make something work. And since its so cheap, its practicly a throw-away.

Although... I do like the Tsunami. Pretty case.

Yuriman said:
Ohh also, since you have an X600pro, I'm going to assume you have PCI-Express. Are the PCI-E X800's moddable?

Yes i do, and you can also tell by my mobo if you can see it in my sig its ok but you cant beat 2 bills for a D550 +915PBL 11 months ago :) I've read some successfull mods and a few failures. Its just that ive heard the X800 pci-e versions have the laser cut but some are still softmoddable

its a shame that case doesnt have a side window or id buy it in a hear beat. I really like the idea of a removable motherboard tray too :D

I just want to emphasize how important case layout and cooling is.

Most people often overlook the case and just opt for a plain jane beige case that has absolutely no cooling, and with fan grills that look like my logitech speakers mesh. These same people complain to me later about why they're pc keeps crashing because its overheating in the dead heat of the summer.

The case is very important, and as one other guy said, you look at it all day, so looks - even though its not always so - matter.

It looks like an oven... there is actualy a clear acrylic case on newegg that DOESN'T look like an oven, which is unusual... you might want to check that out, if clear is your thing. I personaly like the brushed aluminum look, and you never have to worry about scratching your case.

Yuriman said:
It looks like an oven... there is actualy a clear acrylic case on newegg that DOESN'T look like an oven, which is unusual... you might want to check that out, if clear is your thing. I personaly like the brushed aluminum look, and you never have to worry about scratching your case.

I dont like the idea of a plastic case since scratches basically ruin it. Im most likely going to get that atrix case but upgarding my vid card is so dam tempting...

BLcK said:

If money is no object, why don't you send some of it to us poor OC'ers? :clap:

Back