• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help, new setup will not Post...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mdogs444

Hey guys I hope you can help me out here. I purchased parts for a new rig for a friend's mom. Got all the new parts in, and cannot get this sucker to post. Heres what happened:

After all physical hardware wiring installs, the pc will turn on and give long spaced out beeps. No post, nothing on screen.

I changed the ram to the other slot, still same thing. I then took out the dvd-rw and used just the DVD-rom & hard drive on the same IDE cable. still nothing. used the two on seperate cables, still nothing. I then added an apg card as opposed to onboard video, put the hard drive as slave and dvd-rom as master. got to the bios, but only detected the hard drive. tried to reboot, then just got the beeps again.

i tried the hard drive in my personal a64 rig and it would see any IDE drives, no hard drives or roms.

I then tried an old 4gb backup HD from my main rig and the new one wouldnt identify that either, jsut giving long beeps.

All items are new, please help!

Amd 2800+ Sempron 64
ECS micro atx mobo (s754 sis)
512mb PQI DDR400
WD 60gb ATA100 7200rpm
Benq DVD-rom/cdrw
Benq DVD-rw
350w P4/amd psu ( i know, generic, but it powers it on, and no overclocking will be done).
Using onboard video since they just want to surf the net and burn music.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Cleared CMOS?
Reseated the CPU?
Doublechecked compatibility?
And don't put HDD and CD/DVD on same IDE, it slows down the HDD (The speed is relevant to the slowest device) :D

//Christian

Tried resetting CMOS after everytime time I got the beeps.

Only reason i tried to put the HD and ROM on same channel is i figured maybe one of the IDE ports was broken.

I reseated the CPU twice.

Should be compatible per ECS website. Also, i got into bios once, therefor has to be compatible or never would have reached that point, correct?

The beep codes will tell you what the problem is.
Do a web search for "BIOS beep codes"
You will need to know the BIOS manufacturer (Award, Phenix, AMI)
Most likely, Your RAM is incompatable with your board. Try anouther stick.

Should be compatible per ECS website. Also, i got into bios once, therefor has to be compatible or never would have reached that point, correct?
Correct.. Forgot about that part when i posted.
Guess you tried with only the dvd installed, no hdd. Unplugged anything unnecessary from the backside (any better name for that?) per boot. Tried with your own PSU to check if its powerissue? I know i know, gotta be sure. Plugged in the extra powerplug in mobo, if there is any. Haven't checked the mobo out on ECS homepage yet.

//Christian

Well i did just now check the bios beep code, and its reflecting a memory issue. So my guesses are:

1. Memory incompatible with board.
2. Memory needs to be RMA's becuase its bad
3. Memory slot(s) are the problem.

I will try to get a stick of my twinmos to try i guess, maybe that'll work....i hope!

If you have to RMA something, I recommend you return the ECS motherboard.
Get something from a quality MB maker (Asus, Gigabyte, DFI, EPOX ect.)
Never again buy an ECS or PCchips. Now you know why ;-)

sdwood said:
If you have to RMA something, I recommend you return the ECS motherboard.
Get something from a quality MB maker (Asus, Gigabyte, DFI, EPOX ect.)
Never again buy an ECS or PCchips. Now you know why ;-)

Ive already know that :) But given I only had a $500 pocket to work with, including she wnated a 17" LCD, i had not much room to spare. Plus i figured with an ata HD, onboard video, and no overclocking....how much trouble can i run into? ahahahaha.

well S*** on me!

Just wanted to give you all an update who helped me......

Installed the twinmos....and BAM, boot up. Have to RMA the PQI memory. Im just going to exchange it for twinmos

Thanks everyone

Back