• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Older Memory for my AV8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chicken_of_Doom

I recently bought an ABit AV8 from newegg, and i was wondering if i coudl use some of my older single channel memory from my current single channel motherboard. I have 3 DDR333 (PC2700) sticks, out of which i understand i can only use 2.

I have 2x512mb (however, they did not come together, they are 2 different companies cuz i bought them a year er so apart)
and 1x1gb

now the board i bought, in case you dont know any background, has 4 dimm slots, dual channeled, and i don't know enough about the memory area to know whether or not i NEED to buy new memory

Please Help

Technically you could use those old stick but I would recommend that you get some new ones if you are interested in OC'ing or if you want better performance overall.

Also can you give more info on the old sticks that you are planning to use like manufacturer, model, what timings does it run at stock and at how much voltages.

well, off the top of my head i dont know all about them, but i was just interested in how dual channel boards would accept single channel sticks.

I think... that they alll have 2.5 as a Latency, like i said, dont know the timings. I read somewhere that since it was a dual channel mb, i could only use 2 singles like that. I dunno. Ill c if i can get those timings for you.

ok my 2 512mb sticks run at 2.5-3-3-7 @ 166mhz
and my 1gb stick runs at 3-4-4-8 @ 200mhz

which is wierd, cuz shouldnt they be running the same speed?

Back