• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig in a few months

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amd_fan101

AMD 64 X2 4400+ 1GHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache
DFI UT Ultra-D NF4 SLI mobo
Western Digital 250GB HDD 16MB cache
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS gamer edition
Thermaltake Tsunami case
Antec 550W SLI PSU
1GB Corsair XMS CAS 2
BFG 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 460/1300
XP-90 HSF w/ AS5 & 92mm panaflow fan
LITEON DVD-RW dual layer 16X

How would this be for my new rig? I will be building it in 2-3 months. Any suggestions? Comments? It will cost $ 2,020 off newegg.com with fedex 2 day shipping.

Looks nice :) My only question is how you can wait 2-3 months before ordering this and then not be able to wait an extra day for standard shipping? ;)

That's awsome by todays standards, but who knows in 3 months. Also, if i may suggest a Hitachi T7K250 drive instead of the WD, it's a far better drive as far as performance is concerned.

That looks really nice I am also build ing my new one soon. (about 3.5 weeks)

Sucka, how much do you think things will change in three months? I thought it would take a little longer for my computer to become obselete. :p

FlakMonkey said:
That looks really nice I am also build ing my new one soon. (about 3.5 weeks)

Sucka, how much do you think things will change in three months? I thought it would take a little longer for my computer to become obselete. :p

I think the biggest change will be with Motherboards/Graphics. I would love to see Crossfire going strong with a new release from ATI.

I don't follow the roadmaps like some, so i really don't know. But if history repeats, we'll see some new stuff come out in that time. I never look 3 months ahead when i look at PC components :)

amd_fan101 said:
AMD 64 X2 4400+ 1GHz FSB, 2MB L2 cache
DFI UT Ultra-D NF4 SLI mobo
Western Digital 250GB HDD 16MB cache
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS gamer edition
Thermaltake Tsunami case
Antec 550W SLI PSU
1GB Corsair XMS CAS 2
BFG 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 460/1300
XP-90 HSF w/ AS5 & 92mm panaflow fan
LITEON DVD-RW dual layer 16X

How would this be for my new rig? I will be building it in 2-3 months. Any suggestions? Comments? It will cost $ 2,020 off newegg.com with fedex 2 day shipping.

I suggest you try zipzoomfly.com they provide free 2nd day shipping in lower US states and their prices are sometimes better than newegg

2-3 months isn't that long. I started planning my new computer back in February before the Venice core even came out (but rumors were it would be as great as it turned out, so I factored it in that early on). The plan stayed about the same (just minor tweaks with regard to heatsink and drive size) all the way to July, when I finally ordered the parts.

Sure, I planned for a computer that's low/mid-range at stock, and that cost half as much as yours will, but I think that build will still be a strong plan in three months. Prices might even come down a bit by then.

I am pretty much doing the same thing. Except getting mine in early September.

Not to worried anymore. (take a look at mine)

CPU and Memory tech should stay about the same, but i expect some changes in the next few months, and certainly by early next year. Take your upgrades one step at a time. I can sit here and dream about computer hardware all day, but until the day comes you can afford it just sit back and watch what happens. That's the best advice i can give to someone looking for a future upgrade. A few weeks is much easier than to predict than whole quarter of computer time :)

Well I'd imagine waiting to upgrade is different from waiting to buy a whole new system.

But, once christmas rolls around and I have some more cash to work with I will most likely br upgrading the RAM and HDD. I think that I will be set for what I want to do.

Though I think it will be interseting to see where the technology world goes in the near future such as early next year. I will be looking forward to it.

Back