• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got some problems with the new build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BioTuned

I recently built a PC for a friend of mine. It really not a PURE gaming machine but it has that little touch to it. The problem is that when he plays games like NBA live 2005, Madden 2005, GTA SA the whole computer sometimes either turns off or the game crashes or the computer restarts. I thought it was the problem with the video card drivers so i deleted all the video card drivers from pc and installed a fresh one but still no luck. Can someone tell me what is going on.

FYI
he has the following setup
Intel P4 530J 3.0
GA-8IP775-G MB
eVGA 6800 GT 128MB
Corsair XMS DDR400 2X512MB
Maxtor 160GB SATA

Thanks

Heat usually, could also be a PSU related problem. (what psu is in the rig)
What types of cooling exist in the case?
Turned off Windows autoreboot on failure?
Running the rig stock? Lower the latency on the memory? Bump voltage a bit?
Several things to try out :D

//Christian

Edit* Just adding a URL to the Motherboard

Most likely the heat. What your should do is run prime95 and memtest, each for about 12 hours and see if it passes both tests.

Very possible its a PSU related issue. The sudden reboot is a typical symptom. Grab a multimeter and measure rails under load (not just the cpu but the video card as well as that seems to be the straw breaking the camel's back).

Deathknight said:
Very possible its a PSU related issue. The sudden reboot is a typical symptom. Grab a multimeter and measure rails under load (not just the cpu but the video card as well as that seems to be the straw breaking the camel's back).

^ ^

Thats my opinion. What PSU? Another possibility is bad ram, how about doing this: First run Memtest86+ (from a bootable ISO) and see if you get any errors. Then, boot into windows and run Prime95. While doing so, watch the temps and check the rails with a mutlimeter. If the rails drop really low, I'd look into replacing the power supply. If the temps get too high, get a new heatsink.

The PSU could be failing under heavy load, which could be dangerous. What kind of PSU is in the machine?

Back