• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2GB Memory Advices (Not which brand Q)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OnFire_SE

Registered
I'm currently using 2X512mb Patriot TCCD which I have been very happy with.

My question is this, since AMD will be looking to go to DDR2 soonish, do you think 1gig of memory will last me till then, or am I likely to require 2 gigs which before?

I want to keep my current system for at least a year before I upgrade again, but have been thinking say in 6 month time if 2 gigs becomes the norm, I might as well buy it now since memory prices are hardly likely to come down. The only thing I seem to be wanting for is just incase if some super special 2 gig kits come out after I buy mine with excellent timings and overclocking. Is there any new gig sticks of DDR awaiting to be released?

I dont play BF2, but I wil no doubt be playing other memory hogs like FEAR etc so I suppose it will be a requirement evenually, but wonder if it can wait till DDR2.

Just wanted to know people thoughts on this.

BTW my system for ref is:
( I need to do a profile soon )

AMD64 3200 @ 2500
1 gig PDP 2-2-2-7 208mhz
ATI X850XT
DFI NF4 Ultra D

OCZ just released some new 1GB modues, but I don't think they qualify as super special. I don't know if we'll see 1GB DDR modules that can mange the same frequencies and timings as the best 512MB sticks. Micron/Crucial has a new, smaller process, but unless that allows lower voltages, it's only going to hurt overclocking.

Will you need more than 1GB? Well, that depends a lot on how you use your computer. For web surfing, wordprocessing, and playing the games you've got now, probably not.

For heavy multitasking, professional photo or video editing, CAD/CAM, and the like, you'd want 2GB now. But if you did that sort of thing with your computer, you wouldn't be asking this question.

If you want to be able to play any game on the market smoothly, you already need more than 1GB. But if you're upgrading in one year and you don't buy new games often, maybe you'd be okay with 1GB. Any longer than that, though, and my guess is you're going to to be looking for more RAM. But take my comments about gaming RAM with some salt. I don't game much, and I'm mostly going by the buzz in the forums.

Back