• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help chosing the best hardware out there

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cown

Hello guys, I haven't been active on this forum for a long time now, simply because my interest for computers etc. has faded. I've had a lot of school work to see to and also have spent a lot of time on everything else but this, but now I've gotten some spare time on my hands again and was wondering if any of you would be so kind as to inlighten me on what is the best equipment out there atm.

I'd like something that can be clocked sometime in the feature when I'm bored and have nothing to do, but other then that I want a stable mashine that can run everything I force it to run.

I was thinking of buying an Intel processor this time as well as about 2gb ram to go with it. I'd also like about 200gb sata drives so that I have a little more space then now. Mainly I'm looking for new CPU, new mobo, new RAM and new harddrives, so If you would be so kind to help me out with some of this I'd be very apreciative.

My current build is in my sig.

Thanks, Cown

Don't really know how to say this so bare with me.
If you are going for a new rig, intel or amd. You are looking at Pcie boards, if you don't plan on using integrated graphics awhile til the GPU's fall down a bit more in prices.
Don't know of any good boards with integrated graphics, so i will just ramble a few things. :D

Intel: 640 socket 775, Asus P5WD2 Prem, 2gb DDR2, 200gb Seagate and a x700 = 7774SEK (don't know what it is in DKK so i thought SEK would do)
Am to tired to compare that against a AMD build right now, all prices i took from www.komplett.se
There is another way, to save from buying a new gpu, that is to buy the DFI 875-T (think it was called that) it has an AGP8x instead of Pci-e due to the chipset. :D

Hmm, i better stop rambling before someone hit me hard in the back of the head.

//Christian

Intel 660
ASUS P5WD2 Premium
2GB of low latency RAM
Hitachi 7K250 hard drives

If you get that motherboard or most current motherboards, you will need a new GPU because it's PCI-E, but if graphics aren't important you can just pick up an x300 or something.

Thanks guys, price sounds resonable... What the hell is PCI-E? Is this better the AGP or?

Damn I've been away for too long lol!

I've checked out the stuff you guys mentioned and I'm completely lost! Didn't have a clue whatsoever that the AGP port had been replaced with PCI-E!!! I see 16x speed on that port, is that the fastest atm? Basicly I only need the GFX to be able to pull World of Warcraft so I don't want to spend a hell of a lot on a new psycho GFX card, but ofc I'd like it to work with the PCI-E port, cause I don't want to invest in a new mobo that doesnt support the newest hardware if I some day change my mind and want something better.

But right now I like the ASUS P5WD2 Premium and the intel Pentium 4 660 3.6 GHz CPU. RAM I dunno PC2-6400 is only 800 Mhz and the board supports 1066Mhz.

Thinking of buying Corsair or OCZ, but I can't seem to find any that run at that high speed!

Damn this is so confusing haha

Well you have shg.biz around your corner (i think anyways, their warehouse seems to be seated in denmark anyways). ;) Waiting for shipment from them, they have reasonable prices etc.
The X700 is a midrange card, wish i would have taken that instead, but it was under developement when i bought my X600XT (which is of developement now, due to the x700), the X600pro card is a fair card, could be able to pull WoW, not sure. :D

http://www.corsair.com/corsair/products/specs/TWIN2X1024-8000UL.pdf <- Corsairs 8000UL 5-4-4-9 (i know ridicilously high cas on ddr2) costs 3009SEK from shg.biz http://www.shg.biz/link.asp?goto=infobox&varenr=350888

*edit* If you want the 800Mhz they are called TWIN2X1024-6400UL
http://www.corsair.com/corsair/products/specs/TWIN2X1024A-6400.pdf
The right pdf couldn't be found on Corsairs pages :D
*edit*

//Christian

Back