• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

another what to build question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stoperhead

I am about to build 2 computers and was wondering what you people would recommend I build.I have about a $1000 budget a piece,I am planing to use hitachi deskstars 250gb and 6600gt video cards.These are my first builds from scratch and i have never oc before.I see alot of people talking about dfi boards and was wondering if these would be ok for a noob,also it does not matter to me if it is intel or amd both will be used for music and gaming one may be used for some cad work.I hope thats enough information this is my first post and did'nt want to get to long.

I would say that you should build one AMD and one Intel. The AMD for gaming and the Intel for just about everything else. As for your question about the DFI board, no it is not for noobs. Everything you do has to be done pretty much manually, especially all of the installs of drivers and chipset drivers. They overclock great though but since this is your first build, I would say to stay away from DFI.

Welcome to the Forums!!!
Yeah, I agree with leebzor in the build one of each. My suggestion to you is to make sure you have a quality PSU, bad ones will take your system with them (when they die). As for the specifics... it's best for you to make a list yourself with everything that sounds good to you, and have us critique it. That's much simpler for us, and you'll also get a feel for the costs. Also, does this include monitor, mouse, and keyboard? And for the monitor do you want CRT or does it have to be LCD?

I don't agree with the build one of each idea myself. This will limit what you can put in each one and so you will end up with two slower computers. Personally, I'd rather have one faster computer. After all, you can only use one at a time (unless, of course, you are folding :) ). I would recomend an amd dual core. Cad should be able to take advantage of both cores and unlike intel dual cores the amd's dont sacrifice any gaming speed. I will configure one and get back to you.

edit- I just noticed you do definately want to build 2 computers. Maybe you could build a better one if you just pooled the money into 1? Or you may want to try both intel and amd- see which one you like better. Be sure to compare apples to apples as much as possible, though (i.e. no single core vs. dual core or different prices/performace points)

Well I recommend you get an Intel and AMD too. Spend about $1300 on the AMD for gaming, and about the other $700 on the Intel one for CAD usage.

DFI boards aren't really good for noobs, they can get pretty complicated if something goes wrong, and usually something does. An Epox board is second to DFI in terms of OCing, but if you want something simple and stable, an ASUS board is great.

Intel: I don't know too much about Intels, but I do know you can probably afford a Intel Dual Core for a cheap price. If you have enough money, go for 2GB of ram, since I think CAD is pretty cpu intensive.

AMD: A simple 3700+ or 3200+ is fine, get a 7800GTX if possible.

OR

AMD: AMD X2 3800+ for CAD

AMD: 3700+ with a 6800GT for gaming.

Might take some thinking, if I have time later on I'll help configure a great system.

I would just build one computer and get a dual core. From the money you save from only having to buy one of everything, You could have a really sweet $2000 dollar setup.

I would get an AMD X2 xxxx+

A few HDDs set in Raid 5

An ATI x800xl or greater

LCD TV

xp-90c, xp-120, or scythe ninja.

I would do something around there ^^.

Last edited:
Gaming
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Motherboard $103
AMD 3200+ $182
Antec SuperLANBoy $64
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A 500W $91.00
OCZ 2x512MB Platinum Rev.2 Enhanced Latency Series $162
eVGA GeForce 6800 GT $299
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus10 250GB w/16mb buffer $109.99
$1011

Small Gaming/CAD
EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Motherboard $103
AMD X2 3800+ $338
Antec SuperLANBoy $64
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A 500W $91.00
Corsair Value 2x512MB $85
eVGA GeForce 6600GT $152.00
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus10 250GB w/16mb buffer $109.99
$943

Total: $1954.

Do you need the monitors and keyboard and speakers? If so, then you'll have to cut it down to a 3000+, make both rigs have Corsair Value ram, buy a cheaper $30 case for both, and maybe downgrade the video cards if needed.

Does how the case look matter to you? If not you can switch out the Antec LANBoy case for some other cheaper $40 case.

Are you going to OC or not? If not, you can get Corsair Value RAM for both, if you are, I already picked the OCZ ram you should get.

Back