• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

'Set Affinity' doesn't work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Graphicism

In windows XP Pro 'Set Affinity' doesn't work - for instance I will tell a process to use CPU 3 & 4 but it will ignore it ~ how do you get these feature to work correctly? Also a problem I have found recently is when burning a DVD I can't do anything else at the same time?... CPU is down below a couple of percent, memory is also well under 100... yet listening to an MP3 or simply typing is unbearable, is there something wrong?

Any ideas or tips would be appreciated.

- Dan

How do you know its not working?

for four cpu's, in task manager the options are usually CPU's 0, 1, 2, and 3. I believe 2 and 3 are the logical (hyperthreading) cpu's, while 0 and 1 are the physical cpus. So if you want to use just the second cpu leave the boxes checked for cpus 1 and 3, just as an example.

anyway, something definately doesn't sound right. Maybe a conflict with your dvd burning software? (is that the only time this issue occurs?) or a driver issue?

I did mean 2 and 3 sorry... well I don't believe it's working because while watching the cpu history chart in task manager and changing the affinity to different servers, the process stays in cpu 0.
On average it looks like this:
0: 60%
1: 20%
2: 10%
3: 5%

And yes I think there is a conflict with the dvd drive or the nero... this problem also occurs some times when playing MP3s, could be sound card related... I have a sound blaster live value.

Graphicism said:
could be sound card related... I have a sound blaster live value.

Oh yeah the elcheapo sound card is yur problem. You should just use the inergrated sound its much better;)...

no but really I hope you fiquer it out. One thing to check would be lastest version of nero/dvd drivers/sound drivers/video drivers....remember yuor using windows and even though yuor listening to MP3's or burning a DVD it could be somthing not related to it at all thats causeing the problem.

most programs are only setup to handle maybe 2 at a time. actually id blame HT, i dont see HT as real dual cpu, only a cheap imitation (IMO)..so if it wasnt using like 1 but 0 id be surprised

Back