• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Funny things to ask the Geek Squad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukeman89

Registered
please contribute if you have any ideas.
for those who dont know, the Geek Squad are the "techies" that work at all the best buy's. they charge $40 to install a stick of ram. yup thats right. thats the quote my sister got a few weeks ago and i didnt think she was serious but she was. okay here we go

1. Where can i download more memory?
follow this up with some "why"s and you'll really start to get on their nerves
2. i have sim city and it said i only needed 128mb of ram sticks and i have 256 so i unplugged one side and now my computer doesnt work and it smells funny.
3. can you get rid of all the animal pr0n on my computer? its really slow now. and my webcam doesnt work anymore so i cant take my own vids.
4. i downloaded a super speed booster program from kazaa and now my computer is all messed up!
5. where can i buy a wireless power supply? i dont want any wires going into my desktop.
6. i have a dell pentium something, is that good?

heres roughly what happened with me today during my lunch break.

Me: Hello i have a question for the geek squad

Geek Squad: yeah, shoot

M: where can i download more memory?

GS: do you mean purchase?

M: uh, cant you just download it?

GS: no, you cant download memory (at this point i hear a bunch of laughs in the backround) its a physical chip that needs to be purchased and inserted into your computer.

M: oh, thats stupid. why cant bill gates make it so we can download it?

GS: hes not that smart of a guy. what kind of computer do you have?

M: uh a dell pentium something i think

GS: is it a pentium 4? a pentium 3?

M: is a pentium 4 any good?

GS: yeah pentium 4's are really good

M: sweet! i have a pentium 166! thats gotta be like, tons better, right?

GS: uh not exactly.

M: what? thats stupid.

GS: what kind of ram do you have in your computer

M: i dunno

GS: okay im gonna walk you through some steps to show you how to find out what memory you need.

M: thanks!

GS: okay on your desktop find the-

M: wait! desktop???

GS: yeah, just the regular window thing

M: oh okay

GS: right click on my computer and go to properties

M: okay.

GS: alright now in a few secon-

M: OH CRAP! my computer crashed!! oh no this always happens

GS: oh wow, you should definitley bring it in soon and have us look at it.

M: i think i know what the problem is though

GS: yeah what do you think it could be?

M: i think i downloaded too much animal pr0n.

GS: yeah you gotta steer clear from that animal pr0n stuff (i hear so much effing laughter in the backround now) you can bring it in sometime this afternoon and we can take a look at it.

M: sweet thanks i'll be there as soon as my mom gets back from jury duty.

http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/

It's like this except the people are stupid not the techies.

Here is something to wet your appetite.

I had this conversation recently with a lady who swore she had been using computers since forever.

* Tech Support: "All right. Now click 'OK'."
* Customer: "Click 'OK'?"
* Tech Support: "Yes, click 'OK'."
* Customer: "Click 'OK'?"
* Tech Support: "That's right. Click 'OK'."
* Customer: "So I click 'OK', right?"
* Tech Support: "Right. Click 'OK'."

Pause.

* Customer: "I clicked 'Cancel'."
* Tech Support: "YOU CLICKED 'CANCEL'???"
* Customer: "That's what I was supposed to do, right?"
* Tech Support: "No, you were supposed to click 'OK'."
* Customer: "I thought you said to click 'Cancel'."
* Tech Support: "NO. I said to click 'OK'."
* Customer: "Oh."
* Tech Support: "Now we have to start over."
* Customer: "Why?"
* Tech Support: "Because you clicked 'Cancel'."
* Customer: "Wasn't I supposed to click 'Cancel'?"
* Tech Support: "No. Forget that. Let's start from the top."
* Customer: "Ok."

I spent the next fifteen minutes re-constructing the carefully crafted setup for this lady's unique computer.

* Tech Support: "All right. Now, are you ready to click 'OK'?"
* Customer: "Yes."
* Tech Support: "Great. Now click 'OK'."

Pause.

* Customer: "I clicked 'Cancel'."

And people wonder why my mouse pad has a target on it labeled "BANG HEAD HERE."

ROFL X*D that was hilarious lolz... including the charge for installing memory possibly ask them if water is good for the cpu? Just to see if they even know about water coolin <_< I could ask these kinds of questions to the guy's at Frys and make them look like they dont know jack shiet

If any of you actually show up at my store, i'll have a field day with you. and by the way, i work for geek squad. If any of you show up at my store and ask any of these questions, well lets just say i know where to find you!

lukeman89 #3 on your list had me laughing for 10 minutes! I've actually seen this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey Matt. what are dip switches on the old p1-p3's mobo from a long time ago hehe?

I acctully has some on my old asus mobo. Btw whats a computer :)))))))))))

Sorry no time to answer your question Derek, I'm heading to the airport. I have a flight to Michigan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are real funny, some of us actually know what were doing. But if you do find one that is an idiot, please do us all a favor and get him to run away crying, pretty please...

Well, the other day i was looking for 90cm IDE cables, and i looked and looked. Gave up and went to the counter and asked a simple question.
Me: Do you have any longer IDE cables in storage?
Her: ???????
Me: uhm, you know cables to harddrives, cdrom
Her: ?? aah, uhm. It could be over there or ah ask him, so sorry i haven't worked here long enough *and big smile*
<There are big signs all over the place stating what is what>
She was honest, and cute, does puppy eyes made me not to ask more questions so i went out and got home, ordered the cables online, and they will arrive later today.
Not much of an adding, but i can't get her face out of my head.

Matt:
There are some geek squaders that deserves abuse. The arrogant type, the besserwisser or the one who has been tricked by fellow co-workers believing he is right about everything he says.
I have worked in a geek squad, long time ago, there was always youngster coming in and trying to play tricks, we usually played along, let them feel good for awhile and then hit them with the hammer.

//Christian

Sshadow, i won't argue that point. We have one girl that works with me that knows nothing. She tried to fix a computer one time and blew up a motherboard. HAHA We throw her a bone once in a while, but most of the time we just make her run errands for us, or do the paperwork that we dont want to do. Basically anything to keep her away from the customers computers.

Lol this thread is too funny. That tech support cartoon is so likely to happen in real life. The sad part is, is that most of the time the tech support people are really like that.

I used to work as warranty tech for apple and compaq. My favorite user issues were:

1. The PC administrator for a small college called and said that Apple external hard drive she was trying to plug into here system wouldn't work because it had a different cable. When she took it from one computer to another it would plug in. After talking to her for a few minutes I got the picture. The external hard drive was actually the PC and computer was actually the monitor which does have different cables depending on the monitor. I was not kind to her but my boss let it slide since she made way more money than I did.

2. I secretary called and said here laser printer did not print fast enough and her boss was constantly late to meetings waiting for the printer to print. So I drove 70 miles to the college where this lady was at and asked her to print something that took a long time. From clicking print to a printed page was 25 seconds. "See, it takes too long." Just then her boss popped out of her office and asked for a document while mumbling how she was late. Again the printer took 25 seconds. After the boss left the secretary looked at me and said, "Can you fix it?". "Yes, but it has nothing to do with techology..."

How about being kicked out of compusmart canada for knowing more than the salesperson. Its happen to me twice in one year and the same location. lmao

anybody else have any funny stories or any other clever ideas to ask? any comments on my lovely prank call?

ya dude tht was AWSOME .. too funny i hate geek squad they wanted me to pay 70 bux to setup a router .. ya rite .. in your dreams !!

Customer: "The computer i have now is a Pentium Hewlitt-Packard Bell."
Tech Support: "Are you sure it's not just a Hewlitt-Packard or maybe a Packard Bell?"
Customer: "Aren't they the same thing?"
Tech Support: "No, they are different."
Customer: "Oh, then maybe its a Pentium Bell."
Tech Support: "Ok."
Customer: "It has a Pentium III 166 in it."

:clap: That is hilarious.

Well..... Thats great. I hope u enjoy what u do for a living and that no one wastes your time while trying to get money to feed your family....

Reminds me of the Seinfeld eposode where Jerry get ****ed off at the telemarketer.

Back