• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this make any sense??? (RAM issue with K8N)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deaks2

Registered
Hi there,

I have a S754 K8N Neo Plat. and got some new RAM to replace my Kingston KVR. I bought an OCZ Platinum 1024 MB (2*512 MB) EL PC3200 Rev 2 kit with the hopes of bringing my RAM along for the ride on the overclock I have going right now.

Each module individually (512) runs @ 250 Mhz 2.5-3-3-6 @ 2.65v no problem in memtest86, however when they are run together I can't even get them stable @ 230 Mhz. I have tried every possible combination in the slots.

OCZ seems to think having 2 512 MB DIMMs in an overclocked state on a single channel system is overloading the memory controller, however I would like to know what you think.

Anyone out there with a S754 K8N with 2 512 MB modules oc'ed to 230+ Mhz?

Note: I have downclocked my CPU to 1.8 Ghz to remove it as a variable, as well as having played with VCore up to 1.55v, command queuing at 1T & 2T, Vdimm upto 2.85v and timings as loose as 3-7-6-15.

which test is it failing in memtest?

test#5 is more of the RAM tester, while test#8 puts more stress on the memory controller. That might give you a hint as to what's the culprit.

Test 5 always failed @ 98% with both modules installed.

I have officially given up on getting these 2 modules together @ higher than stock speeds.

However, a nice surprise occured today. My CPU can now clock to 2.4 Ghz at 1.5v Vcore (2.3 @ 1.5v was the previous max, 2.4 never worked), something it could never do with KVR RAM installed.

Therefore I am currently running the following:
CPU @ 2400 Mhz (10*240 Mhz) @ 1.5v with C&Q enabled (using stock multiplier, so no worries...)
RAM @ DDR400 (spec speed) 2-2-2-5 timings @ 2.6 Vdimm (lower than rated, yes!)
1T command queuing and Aggressive timings enabled in the BIOS

Have run Memtest86, Prime95, 3DMark 05 and Super Pi 32M all evening to confirm stability. Hopefully BF2 likes this new speed too

BTW: with this RAM I can also run my HTT bus @ 4*240 Mhz (960 Mhz) which is 160 Mhz above stock. Any advantage to doing that, esp since the A64 isn't memory starved and the single channel RAM design can't possibly keep up with even 3*240 Mhz (720 Mhz, 80 Mhz below spec...)

Last edited:
Back