• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinions on my new build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cown

Heyya guys

I'm putting together a new computer now and was wondering what y'all think about my choise:

CPU:
Athlon 64 4000+

MOBO:
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-D OR ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SLi (leaning towards Abit atm!)

GFX:
ABIT RX700 Pro-256PCIE

RAM:
Prolly go for dual 512 PC4000 corsair XMS

Any recommendations or advice?

Btw. What's a good cooler now a days? Wouldn't mind it it can resist a little OC as well :p (any of my WC stuff fit for use on a A64?)

lukeman89 said:
dont get an SLI board, you're getting an ATI card so you cant use SLI anyways.

True, but the SLI is actually cheaper then the Ultra board so I might as well get the feature, won't do any harm? I hope lol!

Is it going to be a multitasking computer? Or what else are you going to do with it? And what kind of budget are you working on?

Yeah, don't get the SLI boards, you won't need it, and it won't be worth it to upgrade to a second video card in the future. I'd pick the Abit motherboard over the DFI, but if your planning to OC a lot, then go with the DFI.

For the CPU, I recommend you should either downgrade to a 3700+ or move up to the FXs or X2 chips.

Your willing to spend a decent amount on RAM and the CPU, but only spend about $150 on the video card? Well it depends on what your planning to do with your computer though.

I recommend you get a 6600GT instead of the X700 Pro, you can get a 6600GT for about the same price too.

The XP-90C or the XP-120 is most widely used by OCers. But reviews show that Scythe Shogun or Ninja is better then that. The Thermaltake Sonic Tower is also a great choice.

darksparkz said:
Is it going to be a multitasking computer? Or what else are you going to do with it? And what kind of budget are you working on?

Yeah, don't get the SLI boards, you won't need it, and it won't be worth it to upgrade to a second video card in the future. I'd pick the Abit motherboard over the DFI, but if your planning to OC a lot, then go with the DFI.

For the CPU, I recommend you should either downgrade to a 3700+ or move up to the FXs or X2 chips.

Your willing to spend a decent amount on RAM and the CPU, but only spend about $150 on the video card? Well it depends on what your planning to do with your computer though.

I recommend you get a 6600GT instead of the X700 Pro, you can get a 6600GT for about the same price too.

The XP-90C or the XP-120 is most widely used by OCers. But reviews show that Scythe Shogun or Ninja is better then that. The Thermaltake Sonic Tower is also a great choice.

Well only thing the GFX has to be able to run is World of Warcraft. I want a high performance computer, I don't want any lacks when it comes to that, so that's basicly why I want the CPU I've chosen. Do the FX processors work better/faster then the regular A64's?

Mostly the FX's have better memcontroller, a 3700+ beats a FX-55 in performance at a little O/C. A friend of mine beat his FX-55 on almost all parts, running a SD 3700+ at some speed. :p

//Christian

Sshadow said:
Mostly the FX's have better memcontroller, a 3700+ beats a FX-55 in performance at a little O/C. A friend of mine beat his FX-55 on almost all parts, running a SD 3700+ at some speed. :p

//Christian
So it's a waste of money to invest in FX's? As far as I can tell prices are almost triple the ones of regular A64's

Some of the best heatsinks would be xp-90c, xp-120, thermaltake sonic tower, scythe ninja (very hard to find in stock), Arctic Cooling Freezer 64.

hehe the Thermaltake SilentTower looks hella tight :D but can it pull A64 4000+ ?

Arctic cooler aint bad either

Not quite, the FXs are really good at OCing, mainly because their multipliers are unlocked. The FX could OC to higher speeds then the 3700+, but usually on water or other type of cooling. If you scroll around the records of OCing and SuperPI rankings, the top 10 would consist mainly of FX chips. Maybe on air cooling, the 3700+ would OC to levels on par with the FX. But the FX-55 would run games with higher fps and smooth results then the 3700+.

The FX-55 or FX-57 are the best CPUs out there for gaming. But since you'll only be playing WoW, then a 3700+ is fine. The 3700+ would OC to the same speeds as the 4000+, so it's not worth it upgrading to the 4000+. If you get the 3700+, you might save enough money to go for the 6800GT.

There's also another alternative. If you multitask a lot or use many multi-thread applications, the AMD Dual Cores are also a great choice.

More information: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050627/athlon_fx57-06.html#opengl

Edit: The Thermaltake Sonic Tower would work great with the 4000+, the only problem is that if it's too big for your case.

1) Scythe Shogun or Ninja
2) Thermaltake Sonic Tower
3) XP-90C or XP-120

The Sonic Tower and the XP-90/120 can be almost equal. Actually, all 3 of the above would get temperatures that only vary by about 2-3 degrees at most.

darksparkz said:
Not quite, the FXs are really good at OCing, mainly because their multipliers are unlocked. The FX could OC to higher speeds then the 3700+, but usually on water or other type of cooling. If you scroll around the records of OCing and SuperPI rankings, the top 10 would consist mainly of FX chips. Maybe on air cooling, the 3700+ would OC to levels on par with the FX. But the FX-55 would run games with higher fps and smooth results then the 3700+.

The FX-55 or FX-57 are the best CPUs out there for gaming. But since you'll only be playing WoW, then a 3700+ is fine. The 3700+ would OC to the same speeds as the 4000+, so it's not worth it upgrading to the 4000+. If you get the 3700+, you might save enough money to go for the 6800GT.

There's also another alternative. If you multitask a lot or use many multi-thread applications, the AMD Dual Cores are also a great choice.

More information: http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050627/athlon_fx57-06.html#opengl

Edit: The Thermaltake Sonic Tower would work great with the 4000+, the only problem is that if it's too big for your case.

1) Scythe Shogun or Ninja
2) Thermaltake Sonic Tower
3) XP-90C or XP-120

The Sonic Tower and the XP-90/120 can be almost equal. Actually, all 3 of the above would get temperatures that only vary by about 2-3 degrees at most.
Thanks alot, I'll consider the 3700+ instead of the 4000+, but then again if the 3700+ can run at 4000+ speed then the 4000+ can run even more ^^ I'm a ******* I know hehe, I just want POWER! :D

I cant find that Scythe shogun or Ninja anywhere! Dunno if they are sold in Denmark at all, but they sound insane hehe, everybody keeps mentioning them! (Tower space is no problem, since I leave my computer open)

Well yeah, in terms of logic, if the 3700+ can OC to 4000+ speeds, then the 4000+ could naturally go even further, but we break logic here.

3700+ 1MB L2 Cache 2.2ghz $271
4000+ 1MB L2 Cache 2.4ghz $372
X2 3800+ 1MB L2 Cache 2.0ghz $388

The fastest 3700+ I've seen is at 3513mhz
The fastest 4000+ I've seen is at 3655mhz

But remember, those speeds are only obtained by using phase change cooling or some other extreme verison of cooling. If you'll be using air cooling, both the 3700+ and the 4000+ would reach the same top speeds, regardless of what it's stock speed was at.

Actually, the 4000+ would be a little easier to OC, since it comes stock at a higher speed, but is it worth $100?

It's all up to you at the end though, 90% of the people here are more worried about the price/performance ratios, and the 3700+ has a better ratio then compared to the 4000+.

More heatsink comparisions: http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=1&artpage=1203&articID=224

It's a little bit outdated, since it was made in May, but it's pretty reliable. If you can't get either of the Scythes, then in my opinion, the Sonic Tower would be the next best choice, add a big 120mm Delta or Panaflo fan and you'll do wonders.

Back