• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

945/955 Chipset Owners - Undervolting/Overvolting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HempHog

Well we all know Asus MOBO's had these issues in the fast and my current one seems to also. Putting a FAN on my mosfets along with the heatsink that is already there didn't fix anything.

Specs:

200 FSB
CpuV - 1.3125
-overvolts to 1.34 idle
-undervolts 1.25-26 load.

266 FSB
CpuV - 1.45
-overvolts 1.47 idle.
-undervolts 1.34-35 load.
-1.4125 - 1.408 (bios load)

Processor: Intel 820D
Mobo: P5LD2 Deluxe

I'm just trying to figure our why the hell it does this so much. I know u should expect some, but isn't this to much? It's the undervolting that really drives me insane because I have to raise my vcore so much to get a stable oc (%&#

Another thing I noticed too, I running the 0206 BIOS right now, I can upgrade to 0312 just fine, but it also has the shutdown reboot problem after 240-250 FSB (forget the exact number)

Last edited:
Why is the shutdown reboot a problem. When I first got my P5WD2 it didn't shutdown on a restart and it would often show a blank screen until I held the power button in for 5 seconds to restart it. After flashing to the newer bios it now shuts down on the restart and I have never had it hang on the restart since. Sure it shuts down, but it also starts back up every time. I think its a fix not a problem.

You seem to have a vdroop problem. This is normal for most mobo's, however the P5WD2 Premium only droops .01v :) There may be a vdroop mod for that board that you can do.

I've noticed some of us with dual core get more then .01v, more like .1v . I think a vdroop mod would help alot.

Yes as much as .1v......would be interested to know how droop all you other PD guys are getting.

Hi you guys,

I also seem to have this undervolting problem on my P5LD2. :rolleyes:
Currently I have FSB@240, Ram@600 (4:5), CPU@3366, VCore is set at 1.375 which is fine in idle at least according to PCProbe2 but under load VCore drops to 1.28. Bios is 0312.

Is that the reason why I cannot go much over 240 FSB ? PC gets unstable if I do (and hot because I have to increase Vcore)

This is a new system, just assembled it 2 days ago. So far I am not impressed. My temps currently are 54C(CPU) in idle mode. With 2xPrime95 running, CPU jumps to 68. Is this normal or too high ? MB is at 43C at all times according to PC Probe2.

Anyway, I do have some questions ...

What is this undervolt mod you guys are talking about ? Is this a hardware mod? Never done that before ... would that help ?

What is the normal frequency of the PCI Express bus ? I don´t know if I should set PCI Express frequency in BIOS to a fixed number like the PCI bus or leave it @ Auto at all times ? Does this affect the videocard only or all devices on the PCIe bus ?

I found out that sometimes if I overclock to high, the BIOS will not detect my harddiscs anymore (they are on the ICH7 SATA controller). Maybe thats because of a wrong PCIexpress frequency ?

I also have this shutdown/restart problem, but it also happened during Windows installations a few times, not only when rebooting which led me to believe that it is a sign of too high an overclock ?

Do you guys overvolt the ICH north and southbridges ?

>> edit:
Another thing I noticed with with board is that stability does not seem to be defined by Prime anymore. For instance now, I have the FSB @ 250, RAM 1:1 and everything seems fine, 2 instances of Prime run without problems and no crashes. However, if I open Dscaler and watch TV I get a picture slideshow instead of a moving picture and scrolling with the mouse in Firefox is simply not possible anymore ... I scroll up and about 15 seconds later, the page moves up.

This sluggish behaviour completely disappears when I lower the FSB speed below 240 or so.

So what could that be ? PCI is fixed at 33.33, that cannot be it.

How about things like FSB Termination voltage, HyperPath, Performance Mode etc. ? Do you guys have those changed, turned on ?

>> edit

Sorry for all the questions, I am still new with this rig ... :bang head :)

Bye,
Alex

Last edited:
Yes i am having the same problem with my newly built rig with the P5DL2 deluxe board.
I have the 480 watt antec Neo power
With a evga 7950, i belive i'm ok with this power supply .

When idle pc probe reports 1.4 volts on Vcore
cpu temp @45c
under load Vcore is under volting down to as little as 1.38 volts
cpu jumps to 50c
MB temp stays @ 32c all the time

power supply voltages under load are

can any adjustment be made in the bios to compensate for this?
I haven't even begun to play with overclocking yet, kinda afaid to raise cpu voltage to push cpu.

Back