• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech keyboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

I right now have a cordless Logitech duo, the MX700 combo keyboard and mouse. I figured, other than cordless, there isn't anything spectacular comming along in keyboard/mouse technology.

I was looking at their corded keyboards recently. Corded keyboards are somewhat inflexable for me, so it is a negative quality. However, they released a gaming keyboard which surprised me quite a bit!

Logitech® G15 Gaming Keyboard

7682.jpg

Before you ask... yes... that is an LCD attached to the keyboard!

7687.jpg

The LCD flips up and closes as well, so it is there when you need it and gone when it isn't needed. Here is the laundry list of other features...

# View game stats. Use the GamePanel™ LCD to view game stats, create new macros, and keep track of important system information without leaving the game. LCD panel closes completely for storage.
# Play in the dark. Illuminated characters are easily visible in both bright and low-light conditions. Three levels of backlighting brightness for late-night gaming sessions.
# Create and save new macros with a press of a button—while you´re still playing. 18 fully programmable “G Keys” have three shift states for 54 possible custom macros per game
# Eliminate cable hassles! Intelligently route mouse, headset, or other cables using convenient channels under the keyboard.
# Begin playing immediately. Basic media controls -- Play/pause, track forward/back, stop, mute, and volume up/down—are all easy to find.
# Record custom key sequences. Make on-the-fly additions to your key programming set with Macro Record button.
# Watch and listen. Convenient media keys for easy management of video and audio playback.
# Play forever. Super robust keys are rated to 20 million key presses — twice the durability of normal keyboard keys. Gaming Mode Switch disables the Windows key so you don´t get dropped out of your game if you accidentally touch it. Detachable palmrest provides ergonomic comfort for long sessions.

I am seriously tempted by this keyboard. This is a good enough keyboard for me not to care about the corded nature of it. Thoughts? Also, does anybody have this keyboard, because I am wondering how the LCD works...?

It says that only certain software supports the game panel, but it doesn't say what software. Did you see the system requirements? 256mb Ram - Thats some serious ram for a keyboard.

Id get this for the nice hot keys and the illumintaed keys. The LCD is an extra feature I wouldnt mind having but I gaurntee it will support BF2. But im torn between this and that one with the pixle keys

It looks a little bit pricy to me. If backlit keys is what you're after, get a Saitek Eclipse for $30 cheaper. I have it and it's great. It doesn't have an LCD, but I don't think you'd be using it that much, you could just look at the screen. It also doesn't have the programmable keys, but I can tell you from experience when I had them I hardly ever used them.

yay me for just noticing that this keyboard isn't in production yet! I'm really awake this morming... :)

Anyways, the big key item here is the LCD. I can mod an LCD into the case, but this usually requires a parallel port connection or a really expensive USB LCD (yay for acronyms). Having an LCD on a keyboard, not greatly increasing the price, interests me quite a bit. I suppose the other features are gloss (the backlight on the keys) and I'm not too certain that I would use the macro keys. I don't know of any other keyboard with a built in LCD display, although if the LCD was limited in what it could display (in other words, it can't display what I would need), I wouldn't be interested in this keyboard.

Is it foolhardy to not want a seperate LCD display? Is a seperate LCD display all that affordable (if I don't want a parallel port solution)?

I wonder why the drivers need so much memory...

Last edited:
I'll be keeping an eye on this. Looks cool, and I just bought a Saitek a year ago.
As long as there is no F-Lock key, I'll get it. It would be cool to use the LCD for incoming IM's. I like the macro keys to the left too.

LCD displays are going to stay in Logitech's lineup. Another upcomming keyboard has the LCD attachment, however this one is a combo setup. It will include the MX700 laser mouse and will be cordless. In addition, the keyboard's media controls will be for Windows Media Center Edition 2005 (I wonder if they can be used for anything else easily...). The combo will cost $150...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2158,CONTENTID=10776

8014.jpg

The LCD is on the top, the media controls on the side. Pictures of those features are at the link above...

It would be neat if they keyboard itself sold seperately... however I think it would be a pricey keyboard...

Why does a keyboard require 256mb of ram? Seems kind of ridiculous to me.

mage_x said:
Why does a keyboard require 256mb of ram? Seems kind of ridiculous to me.

Actually, what is interesting is that the second keyboard has no such requirement. It might be something specific to what the gaming keyboard does in relation to monitoring games...

That or perhaps there is no certainty in the final specs, so they were taking a guess...

Eitherways, I find 256 mb minimum ram unacceptable, if what they mean is that their program WILL take 256 mb ram to operate.

Wow, another bunch of useless crap nobody needs! Can't wait to see it on the shelf.

Seriously, I've got a 19" LCD, what do I need a 3" monochrome LCD for? To show chat? So I can look away from the real screen to look down at the keyboard?

Am I the only one not sold by flashy lights and worthless technology?

For those of you complaining about the price: Stand-alone USB character LCD displays cost that much (or more). So it actually seems like a fairly reasonable price to me in that regard.
tom10167 said:
Am I the only one not sold by flashy lights and worthless technology?
Well, there's two of us atleast...

I think it's too big and has too many buttons. Most PC games allow you assign keys, so what would be the point of the G buttons? And if you need to look down at your keyboard to see stats, then you're not paying attention to the game which has the same info on the HUD.

On the other hand the LCD would be perfect for displaying MP3 playback info so you can listen to your own music while gamic and not be confused as to what song is playing or up next.

And as for the wireless one, speaking from experience it's very hard to integrated a keyboard or mouse in the entertainment center experience so the media function integrated into the keyboard seem poorly thought out to me. That set should have just included a stand-alone or removable remote.

Last edited:
Someone posted a while about this.

In reality, when your playing CS or BF2, will you EVER look down at your keyboard, your eyes are usually looking right at your screen. I doubt you'll ever look down on your keyboard to check your HP or ammo. I also doubt anyone will use MSN or AIM on their keyboards....why not use the screen...lol.

The only good reason I can think of for the LCD, is that if you can install monitoring programs on it. If you can monitor your temperatures, voltages, and clock speeds on it while your playing a game, that may be a great help. Otherwise, it's only eye candy =D

darksparkz said:
<snip>
The only good reason I can think of for the LCD, is that if you can install monitoring programs on it. If you can monitor your temperatures, voltages, and clock speeds on it while your playing a game, that may be a great help. Otherwise, it's only eye candy =D

Exactly, you read my mind. My use for the LCD would be to display critical system statistics, such as temperatures and alike (or background IM messages pending) so that I know they are there when I am playing back a DVD or playing a game. If I do have a second to look down, I probibally will, and I will most likely have a heart attack if I learn that my overclock is making things a bit too warm under the hood... :) In seriousness though, if the LCD can display what I need it to display, then great! It would be neat to integrate it into the keyboard and save the cost of an $80 LCD for my case. If it doesn't display what I need it to though, then I can easily pass...

I certainly don't need 3000 buttons on a keyboard. My MX700 logitech combo that I am using has too many buttons as is... I think other than the media controls, I use 1 of the 9 silver buttons provided on the top and none of the left side buttons... and I only use the media controls because I like music quite a bit and I like having a jumbo keyboard-remote to control winamp... yes I am silly... :)

Anyways, I decided to check Crystalfronz's website to see the prices for LCDs. For an LCD kit for a computer case, 20 characters by 4 lines, no backlighting, serial, it would cost $71.75. For USB it would cost $81.50. Knock that down to two lines and 16 characters and you have $67.50 and $77.25. The LCDs on the keyboards is inbetween 2 and 4 lines (it is 3 lines).
http://www.crystalfontz.com/products/select_kit.html

The cheapest external LCD is $116.25. So, if you want to save money, find an open 5.25 bay or two...
http://www.crystalfontz.com/cgi-bin/pricing.pl?product=634xe

So, yes... I suppose the keyboard prices make a bit more sense... considering that the gaming keyboard up there only costs $80... Besides, considering that there is now two planned keyboards with LCDs, I wonder how many more Logitech keyboards will start integrating that feature...

One last small tidbit of information... the gaming keyboard shows gaming statistics, which I agree is pretty silly. The multimedia keyboard (2nd one) shows that it can control the media player from the keyboard and allow the media player to display statistics back to the LCD. You can make out a menu system along with controls for that menu in this screenshot (an up/down and two soft keys... soft keys being a feature of cell phones and PDAs with Windows Mobile 2005 and beyond).

8005.jpg

Kinda interesting... anywho, I wonder how long it will be until they port the game pong to that LCD screen...

<edit> I had to comment on this...

Captain Slug said:
<snip>
And as for the wireless one, speaking from experience it's very hard to integrated a keyboard or mouse in the entertainment center experience so the media function integrated into the keyboard seem poorly thought out to me. That set should have just included a stand-alone or removable remote.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=10711

8099.jpg

This upcomming $100 keyboard and mouse set has a remote as well, so that the media stuff is on the remote, the keyboard stuff (plus a few buttons) are on the keyboard, and the mouse is... well... a basic mouse for the most part. However, it seems like Logitech is working on a ton of fronts in making new keyboards... Sheesh, I feel like a logitech sales person (note: I am NOT a logitech sales person, I just wondered on their website one odd day...)
</edit>

Last edited:
the only reason why i am going to get this keyboard is mainly because of the programmable keys..

think about it.. 3 different sections to me = 3 different game pads... thats around $30-$40 each.. now you can buy and eclipse + 3 of those and it isnt anywhere near the goodness of logitech...

What I want to know is how they will approach key reaction & pressure.
That is probably the feature which most effects a keyboard's long term usability. But sadly
it seldom is considered.
Think about it. How many keystrokes do you perform in a year's time?!

Unfortunately the manufacturers have taken to promoting rubber dome keyboards these days. :(

Back