• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What happened?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vexx

So last night I had put my Video card back in its AGP slot.. made sure everything was plugged in right..
hit the power switch..
turns on for 5 seconds
turns off and smells like burning plastic....

boots up again and no post? :shrug:
tried a different PSU no post
tried plugging in just the mobo and the video card.. no post
tried different video card still no post..
also I'd like to add the power button on my case.. you can no longer hold it for 5 seconds to turn off the machine you must turn it off on the PSU

so any idea guys what the hell happened here?

My guess is that you did not properly seat the video card and some pins shorted out and burned up something. I would try to boot with nothing but the psu plugged in (no ram, no cards, no drives, no cpu, etc.). If you get no beeps, then the mobo or psu is fried. If you get beeps, add components one at a time and boot. If you still get beeps, keep going. If it smells or stops beeping, the last component you plugged in is bad.

JimmyG said:
My guess is that you did not properly seat the video card and some pins shorted out and burned up something. I would try to boot with nothing but the psu plugged in (no ram, no cards, no drives, no cpu, etc.). If you get no beeps, then the mobo or psu is fried. If you get beeps, add components one at a time and boot. If you still get beeps, keep going. If it smells or stops beeping, the last component you plugged in is bad.

Alright I'll go home and try that
:bang head

Sniff all the parts first! The smell of burnt silicon will surely give away if any parts fried. I accidently connected 12v to the signal wire of a 40mm fan and the thing smelled horrible. I had to remove it from the room it was so bad.

Do as he said. Remove the parts. Try to post. No beeps then you are toast. If beeps then sniff the different parts before you put em back in.

Also if you have a PCI vid card you should try that as well in case you screwed your AGP port.

JT

Back