• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system won't post..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PitchBlackM3

Registered
Hey guys got my new system today and it won't post. Sometimes when you boot up the system will go to a number 51 on the motherboard diagnostic display other times it will boot to another number , it seems to be completly random where it goes, the processor is a 3000+ Veince, the mother board Epox 9NDA3. Any ideas of how to get this system booting? Power supply Furtron AX400, Ram G-skill pc3200 1gig. NOt able to get to any BIOS.

Thanks

First remove everything except for CPU, CPU fan, video, and RAM and see if you can get it going. If you still can't get it going, either someone's wrong with your power supply or your mobo. I'd try loosening some mobo screws as overtightened screws could cause inadverant shorts.

If it does boot, add the rest of the devices one at a time.

4GHZ_or_bust said:
First remove everything except for CPU, CPU fan, video, and RAM and see if you can get it going. If you still can't get it going, either someone's wrong with your power supply or your mobo. I'd try loosening some mobo screws as overtightened screws could cause inadverant shorts.

If it does boot, add the rest of the devices one at a time.
Okay, I helped to build this system. Inititaly we had an issue where the board refused to turn on at all, I think it was infact a grounding/shorting issue as we no longer had the problem after removing the motherboard from the case.

I thought we were home free after that issue was out of the way, but the board seems to choke right before verifying the memory, ocasionaly it makes it further (made it to IDE detection one time) but it seems totaly random. The PSU was tested with another system (2.6 Celeron) and it worked fine. I have also tried different ram, which made no difference. The only thing I can think of is that the bios that the board is using is not compatible with venices.

EDIT: BTW, I'm not sure if it was clear or not, but the computer begins the post, but never completes it. I can see the post status on the screen as well as by following the diagnostic display.

Trombe said:
Flash the Bios? :shrug:
Would not have really been posible considering the fact it never really finished the post.

Anyway, we figured the problem out, and I must say its one of the most bizare problems I've ever seen. Everything worked fine once I disconected the exhaust fans rpm wire from the motherboard fan header. I repeated this about five times, evey tiem the rpm was plugged into the fan header it would stop at 51, it would boot fine every time it was not connected.

Back