• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple memory question for YOU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harm88

Registered
This is an easy one for you.......
I currently have 512 MB of generic PC133 mem in my comp. Today I added 512 MB more of a different generic brand. It's not double density and should be compatible with all MB's. The comp recognizes the correct amount of mem at start up and posts. It goes to the windows loading page, but then hangs up. It loaded windows once in safe mode, but gave a protection error when I tried normal and safe mode after that. I removed the chip and it runs fine now. I seem to remember reading somewhere way back that you can't mix brands of memory, is that true or am I missing something? Could it be a defective chip? I bought it at Fry's electronics so it's probably been in five computers before mine :rolleyes:

What version of Windows are you using? Supposedly Windows 98 and lower (including Windows ME) can't handle more than either 384 MB or 512 MB of RAM. I'm saying this through what people have told me and not through experience, though. :)

It would also help if you would give as much info about your system as possible.Motherboard, OS, etc...with more info there is a better chance that someone can help answer your question.

Here's the info. Now that you mention it, I seem to remember hearing the same thing about Win98 memory restrictions. When is XP available in stores?

Back