• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Annoying beeps when playing certain games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qazs

Hi,
I get these annoying beeps from the system speaker when playing certain games. After exiting, the beeping stops.
I tried checking the temperature and voltage using Hardware Sensors Monitor, and this is the result I get:

Temperatures -----------------------
HDD1: 45 degree
CPU1: 41.5 degree
Mainboard: 31 degree
Fan Speed: 3125 RPM
-------------------------------------
Voltages: ---------------------------
+12: +11.55V
-12: -11.56V

+5V: +5.11V
CORE: +1.62V
AUX: +1.62V
I/O: +3.12V <-- This drops to 2.66V when I started the game
-------------------------------------

The beeping is more serious when I used a 512 RAM instead of a 256 RAM.
My graphic card has a fan built-in and I added another fan beside it, so I don't think it's the graphic card overheating.

I'm using ASUS P4B266-C and NVidia Geforce 5700fx.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

qasz,

what's up?

i am not an expert, but this sounds as if your are having low
power as it also gets more beeps when you use 512mb of ram.
and you have that drop of voltage in in the 3v....

what kind of PSU do you have in your system?

--- What does the experts of this forum think?

The "beeping" is probably a mobo alarm for high temps, low voltage, or low fan RPM. Looks like your +12v rail is a little low. I suspect it's pulling down even more under heavy load (like gaming). Either that or load CPU temp is excessive.

Sanscor said:
what kind of PSU do you have in your system?
er..actually I don't know either. Is there anyway I can check the wattage of my current PSU?
Also, may I know what is the optimal value for +12V, +5V, CORE, AUX and I/O?
And what does each of these stands for?

Thanks.

Obviusly, if you can't identify the supply by looking at it, we have no way of telling what it is. No matter how much PC experience you have, you can't divine information with no basis for the decision.

It sounds most strongly to me like your 3.3V rail is drooping waaay too low under load. The memory is run from the 3.3V line, your 3.3V line is showing huge droop, and it gets worse when you run more ram. 2+2 still equals 4 in any corner of the universe, and this all adds up to the 3.3V rail drooping far enough to trigger the motherboard's warning signal for the 3.3V level.

I think it's the 3.3v line as well. It shouldn't drop to 2.6v as you said. It probably does it more with 512MB of ram since it's using even more power to run 2 sticks than 1. Try swapping power supplies.

Hi thanks very much. It's the power supply.
I switched to an Antec 480 watt and it doesn't beep anymore.
My previous one is 350 watt.
Thanks a lot!

Back