• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tombles

Registered
Hey, i have had problems with my old PC lately. The old gfx card on it started to die on me, the fan was not working correctly so i purcharsed a new card (sapphire radeon 9800pro atlantis)

I installed it and it seemed ok at first but then problems started to occure and the monitor screen would go blank and go to power save mode. I thought this was a PSU issue as i only had a 250W PSU so i just purchased a Antec 380W truepower.

I installed the PSU fine and it was all running fine but again the gfx card was causing problems. It does not like to load 3D applications and at random times the monitor likes to go into power save mode and i could not even load up a game as it would just freeze on the first screen.

I have had a couple of error messages saying: -

VPU recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer
responding to graphics drivers commands.

and

Warning : The currently used openGL driver does not support the required
extensions to run the 3D preview.

I tried new drivers but still same problem. Im not sure if its a faulty card myself now or anything else? Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

I wouldn't really consider that Antec 380w to be brimming with power, so its entirely possible that it isn't up to the task, but possibly this is software related. When you dropped the new card in, did you remove the old drivers first? My preference when switching brands of video card is to do a clean install of windows, but then again I enjoy flushing out the system every once in a while anyways.

Alot of people like to use Driver Cleaner to cleanup old video drivers. If you are a opposed to a reformat then you should look into this at least, if you have not already.

The antec 380w PSU should be enough for my system as its fairly old now and the 250W was powering it and a geforce FX card. I have reformatted already but still the problems persist :E

Clean install has been done, still same problem unfortunately ><

Still got the problem? any other ideas guys? need to get this fixed as im selling it on and i dont want to keep the person waiting or give them a faulty PC.

I am going to try the card out in my friends PC soon to see if its the actual card but any other suggestions until then are more then welcome.

Back