• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice on my new system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Ambush=-

Ok so I'm about to get a new rig. Celing on price is about 2500 USD. But I need some advice on some components.

CPU: AMD X2 4800+ OR FX-57(possibly limited by price) OR Sandiego 3700+
Video Card: BFG 7800GTX
Mobo: DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR
Memory: OCZ 2GB(2x1GB) PC3200 Platinum RAM OR Mushkin 1GB(2x512MB) PC3200 BH-6 RAM
Power Supply: PCP&C 510W express/SLI
Case:Antec P180
Cooling: Cooler master hyper 6+, but will upgrade to Zalman CNPS9500 when it is released.
Storage/Optical: 74Gb raptor (price limited) or other SATA drive(s)/standard DVD/CD-RW disc drive

Key here is I'm looking for a medium OC on air, so I'm really torn on the CPU. I'll mainly be using this for games, no video encoding etc. If a lesser X2 would be better for performance vs price, that's good. I'm just and leaning toward an X2 for future proofing.

So what's everyone think?

UPDATE ORDERED:
CPU: X2 4400+, ended up being best bang for buck. By budget ended up being around $2300 and the 4400+ put me right on there. Also it seems that X2 bench about the same as FX's with a little less clocks (Can give link upon request). Not to mention the new Nvidia driver that promise a boost due to multi-threading support.
Video Card: Changed to XFX 7800GTX, no aftermarket cooling (Yet..)
Mobo:Same, I'm going Sli because I will be getting another 7800GTX once the drop to around $400. Hopefully in about 2 months time. I'm also hardcore DFIer since my LanParty NF2 (already sold with my XP-M. :cry: )
Memory: Went with the OCZ mentioned above. I did extensive reasearch and I saw that they can be finneky with the 4400+. I wanted to get crucial ballistix since over on Xtreme they were getting the best overclocks with the crucial. I will set up a build log for you guys and tell you the performance of the OCZ. :)
Power Supply: Same
Case:Same (Anyone modded a P180 yet? My power tools are getting itchy:p)
Cooling: Thermalright XP-90c w/92mm panflow. Probably best air until the zalman, easier to lap than the xp-120.
Storage:I went with the 2 36.7GB raptors. Have a 120GB PATA drive for stoarge from old system. Probably will go for a 250Gb SATA II 16Mb when I get the 2nd GTX.
Optical: NEC pretty much everything drive for $42 :clap: and a floppy drive for BIOS flashing.

Ok, ok...I lied when I said only medium overclock. I wanna see this 4400+ FLY! I got the itch again baby!! WoooHooo!!!!....uhh...err..sorry...

But really, I want to get these chip to at least 2.7, thats why I wanted the Ballistix RAM. And yeah I would have loved the FX, but I just was about $300-$400 out of my price range. FX>X2>San Diego IMHO.

Will post build log/results in 3-4 days. Yay for 2nd day air!

Last edited:
I just built the second system in my sig and love the x2, but I'm less of a gamer than most. The 4400+ seems to be the best $/performace for the x2. The fx-57 would probably yield better overclocks and superior gaming performance. I think Sucka has a couple of threads detailing his experiences with both cpus. I have been satisfied with the ocz gold series so I would imagine the plat would be a great choice too. The p-180 :D. Love it. Quiet, cool, and looks nice too. I did have to relocate a couple of fans.
Either way looks like you got a great system about to be built.

I'd go with the 4400+, and perhaps a 16mb cache Maxtor instead of the raptor if you want the speed. Either way, it looks like a pretty solid setup.

btw, if you end up going with the 2GB OCZ Plat, please share your experience with them as I'm considering getting some myself. :)

If I may.

CPU: X2 is a cool toy to have but in the end the FX will give better gaming, I hope Sucka comes in here so he can add more to this issue.
Mobo: Any reason you are going with the SLI version? Don't tell me its because you will add a second 7800 in the future because it will be useless as a better card with the same performance will be out.
Memory: OCZ makes some of the best RAM out there and I can say the have great support in case anything goes wrong so it would be a safe bet.
As for the HD: The 16mb cache is not useful, a 74G raptor will be good but its not worth it in the long run. The price/gb ratio is awful and in the end you get about 2-3 seconds in loading time, the WD 250gb SATA II scored real nice at Anandtech over other SATA drives.

In the end just do your homework.

Good choices. I'd go with the FX chip though, since your spending $2500 anyways, and it'll be mainly used for gaming, the FX works better then the dual cores for gaming, FXs work better now and will work better for the next few years. FXs would also OC about 200-400mhz higher then the X2s, and its easier with unlocked multipliers.

The X2 might have a difference of only 10-20 fps in certain games, but your aiming for gaming, not multitasking or using any multi-threading applications.

I would either drop the SLI board or save money to buy the second 7800GTX within the next 2-3 months. Get the EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra or the MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum. But if you really want SLI, I recommend the ASUS A8N Preminum SLI motherboard, it'll be more rock stable then the DFI, especially since you'll only do mild OCing.

I'd stick with the OCZ ram, it's a great brand and since your doing medium OC, it'll still work well.

You might want to drop the Raptor and get a 16mb cache HDD. Yes the Raptor may load your games and certain things a tad faster, but it's not worth it in the long term usages, mainly because you'll only have 74GBs on it. If possible, get a simple 16mb cache HDD now, and buy another later to run in RAID 0 for even better performances. But that's assuming you won't have any important files/documents on your HDDs, otherwise the risk might be pretty large.

I'd just stick with stock heatsink for a while and just wait until Zalmans out, you'll probably want to wait about a month before OCing, since you don't want to break the warranty on your FX-57 just yet.

Hmmmmmm. FX-57 and two of the newer 7800 GT's = around $1,900. Get a good motherboard and 2 gig of ram and go the cheap on everything else! :p

Back