• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Machine Check Exception

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skeen

Ok I have an 80 GB WD HD that is my C: drive. I also have a 120 GB Maxtor that is the location of my My Documents file. Whenever I try to access my documents, the computer freezes and then I BSOD, getting a Machine Check Exception. This happens anytime I have anything to do with My Documents, whether it be saving something to that drive, copying from it, whatever. I've tried various nVidia IDE drivers and the standard MS drivers. Doesn't matter.

This used to happen to me and I reformatted the 120 GB MAxtor and copied my documents from a backup disk. This helped a bit, with it only occasionally getting the machine check BSOD.

Any ideas? Is the HD going bad?

Is "My Documents" the only folder on the drive?
Can you read and write to other folders on that disk?

Yes, My Documents is the only folder. I seem to be able to save to My Documents and I can create new folders on D:, however if I try to open My Documents or even just copy the contents to another folder it crashes. My Documents is a 7 GB file, for whatever its worth.

/edit: Yeah I can definitely run .exe files and whatnot from D: and my antivirus has no problem scanning D:\My Documents, I just can't open the darn thing without a BSOD.

Last edited:
Then the problem is not the hard drive. It's a Windows registry problem.
What method did you use to move "My Documents" from its default location?
I always use TweekUI.

I just changed the target folder location through the properties tab, when I right clicked My Documents.

So what are my options?

In addition, I recently reinstalled windows, without making any changes to D: drive. After windows was installed I just changed the location of My Documents as described above.

My guess, is that there are many other support files that windows is looking for in your "Documents & Settings" folder that arn't there.
Try setting it back to C: in the properties. If it then works correctly, Do it the way I do.
Startup in safe mode as Administrator
Make a folder "Documents and Settings" on D:
Copy the entire "Skeen" foder from C:\Documents and Settings\Skeen to D:\Documents and Settings\Skeen
Restart normally
Then use TweekUI - My Computer - Special Folders, to change most of the settings to your D:

I had a checksum error earlier today. I just went back in and set up everything in the BIOS, saved and exited. Ever since that it hasn't been BSOD'ing. I'm not saying the two events are linked, but that's the only change I've made. I don't get it.

Thanks for the help, sdwood.

Back