• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory for DFI nF4 Ultra-D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GunnerMan

Well my friend needs new ram, his dosent worth with 2 sticks and hardly works with 1 stick. We have latest BIOS, tried different DIMMs(only boots in dimms 2 and 4). It is Corsair XMS..... forget the model. Anyways he needs something kind of cheap he wont be overclocking just needs something that will work with his setup. Hes running AMD 3500 Clawhammer S939, 7800GTX and 160gig Seagate SATA. Thanks

Here is a really good deal on some ram that will work well in an ultra-d and have plenty of overclocking potential should your friend deside to start overclocking

Mushkin Redline PC3500

With the rebate you looking at $130 ;)

GunnerMan said:
Well my friend needs new ram, his dosent worth with 2 sticks and hardly works with 1 stick. We have latest BIOS, tried different DIMMs(only boots in dimms 2 and 4). It is Corsair XMS..... forget the model. Anyways he needs something kind of cheap he wont be overclocking just needs something that will work with his setup. Hes running AMD 3500 Clawhammer S939, 7800GTX and 160gig Seagate SATA. Thanks

For what I gather reading many postes and reviews, It seems DFI mobo likes OCZ ram. OCZ rev 3, performance (w/ copper heatsinks) are selling for $109 2x512 Dual @ newegg. and I think U can overclock it to a decent rate.
Corsair value rams are good too and cheaper (about $85 for 2x512) but I dont know if DFI will take it w/ ease. check the links below:
new OCZ pc3200 2x512:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227031
Here is a refurbished OCZ 550(pc4400) EL series, 2x512 for $98
but ask for lifetime warranty:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146986R
and set of 433(pc3500) OCZ performance for $99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146950R

GunnerMan said:

I would strongly recommend to clear CMOS and rest it again. Or even redo the BIOS again and from DOS.
Also w/ new BIOS I would install the motherboard drivers again. Check and see if DFI has new drivers for the new BIOS.

I would certainly recommend what OCZ said. I've learned DFI boards can be a hassle if you are not prepared. It is wise to reset the bios and reload it and also load the mobo drivers so that it may work correctly.

RVV-AE

Well I did flash BIOS through DOS, I have not reset it, and he tried installing the latest Nf4 drivers and that caused a reformat.

What happens is 2 512 sticks it reboots about 1 min after entering windows, 1 stick he can do stuff just no games or crash.

GunnerMan said:
Well I did flash BIOS through DOS, I have not reset it, and he tried installing the latest Nf4 drivers and that caused a reformat.

What happens is 2 512 sticks it reboots about 1 min after entering windows, 1 stick he can do stuff just no games or crash.

Maybe one stick is bad/ or not realy dual.

Let me get this straight...

DFI Ultra D
Clawhammer 3500
7800GT

and now someone wants to save $30-$40 by buying cheaper ram?

Especially because he doesn't want to overclock (now), I think that he should be looking at either OCZ PC3200 Plat Rev 2 (ver1.1) with Samsung TCC5 chips or Patriot PC3200 XBL (or similarly named) with Samsung TCCD.

Both of these are moderately priced, good warranty and provide him with the flexibility on that 3500 to run it at whatever timings and HTT that provides the best performance. If he ever wants to overclock, then he is set...no need to go out and buy ram later.

Why bottleneck that high end rig with the ram when the difference in price is relatively small.

Just my .02's worth.

remember that Corsair XMS is rated a t2-3-3-6on intel boards. On amd boards, they are rated at 2.5-3-3-6, try changing your timings, because the dfi board doesn't do that for you.

Back