• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual cpu P3 800mhz wont post, turns on and shows 2 LEDs..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

hi guys...after lawn shopping my bro scored a dual p3 server from the trash..both CPUs, no ram, voltage regulator, 9.1gb SCSI drive, PSU, fans all there..

The board is a G7esz, i guess also known as STL2 dual socket 370.

i put some compatable ram in it, but no go...it turns on, nothing on the monitor..the manual says even if you had no ram, it would STILL post and complain about ram

when i remove 1 CPU, no boot..

also i notced, when its plugged in, the fan on the big ole PSU starts turnin..any ideas?

Did you check for any burn marks? The CPU's might just be shot. Try swapping out power supplies. If it's turning on but no video, try a different video card or just put the video card in a different slot (if its PCI).

its built in video...ill try a PCI...i see no burns on anything...PSU has crossed my mind, only its onea those slim server ones...its like alien to me (AMD boy)

yeah try a PCI video card and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then I'm not sure what it is...maybe a short somewere?

Just checking but did you use ECC memory? Some boards just won't work without ECC memory.

Also could you post some pictures of the board and maybe it might be possible to find some points to check voltage and resistence to find out if the motherboards dead.

Picture802.jpg

manual said that ECC wasnt required..it said it should post without ram, but itd quickly error telling you HEY theres no ram.

i couldnt find beep codes or LED codes or anything however

not yet, but i will probably today...worse case scenario, mobo is shot..ive seen em on ebay for 40$...and this is an OVERCLOCKERS forum, so im willing o bet i could jack the dual 800mhz CPUs to 1.ghz (since theyre set via jumper)

be nice to have a 4th dually in the house. itd be 5 but this gigabyte mobo is soo finiky. itll ru n for bout a month, then end up with the same error....and it was NIB..oh well

Wish I could score stuff like this for free :cry:

Does the power supply check out? You could try it in another (crappy) rig to be certain it's still good.

ihave no way of testing, its a intel PSU, with the extended set of pins, all my current PSUs are AMD.

UPDATE:

i removed the mobo, sat it on a box and turned it on..this time we got 1 error LED, then the second kicked in. However, outside the case, the reset button now works...when i hit it, the leds clear, the hard drive stops and spins up again...but then soon, both LEDs come on.

i removed the CMOs battery..im gonna let it sit awhile and see if this does anything..there is a recovery mode and a CMOS clear, but my last attempts didnt work...we'll see if this does..god i hope so lol id like to submit some deviant art pics after i ran em thru brazil or final render...distributed computing RULES!

i have to somehow figure out how to attatch single tab heatsinks to an AMD board thats missing the middle ones (too poor to buy new ones) zip ties here i come

MadSkillzMan said:
i have to somehow figure out how to attatch single tab heatsinks to an AMD board thats missing the middle ones (too poor to buy new ones) zip ties here i come

http://www.overclockers.com/tips284/

I've also seen someone use a small metal dowel to snap under the other 2 tabs. He used wire to attach the dowel to the HS, if I remember correctly.

:eek: thats genius! and it works???

crap im gonna go try that shortly..i was using zip ties to hold it down lol

wow i hope this works, thanks a ton!

strangely i dont have anything P3 in my house...i think we have a celeron machine out in the garage i can play with ..i gotta check

i thought most fried CPUs showed black or something on em, no?

see and i cant test just 1 in the board, because it requires a terminator, which i dont have

CPU0 heats up if i leave it on, the HS gets warm...CPU1 does to an extent, but not like CPU0...and when we found it, the HS was off of CPU1

itd be neat if i only had to buy a cpu

EDIT: ok..i got it to start outside the case and all, but no VGA. however after reading the tech specs it shows where i can plugin a speaker. no news yet of what the beep codes are, but im out to scavange for a speaker

i appreciate all the help guys

Last edited:
Back