• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4P800SE + Prescott p4 3.0e major problems please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sevenx

Hello all.

I'm at the point where I'm begging for answers and posting anywhere on the internet that I can find to try and fix this problem. My old setup was a p4 2.8 533 FSB, using 9700 pro. I purchased the new CPU which is has a 800 FSB, and radeon x800XL and installed both of them. Upon installing the CPU and starting it up, I just had a black screen and the bios failed to load. The memory is the same as it was previous to installing this CPU and graphics card, and I have no other gadgets or pci cards or anything in the computer taking up any extra power, or possibly conflicting other then an aftermarket heatsink and fan. I'm currently using a 425 watt power supply. So upon having the black screen of death over and over, I looked up some troubleshooting guides on ASUS's website and it said that there were bios updates for newer cpus. I updated to the latest version of bios with no luck, still black screen o' death. Next step was to pull the battery out of the mobo and switch the jumper to reset the cmos. Finally I had some luck and was able to get through bios, detect the CPU, and all the settings were fine.

Now heres where the main problem is now. Right before I reached windows, my computer shut off. I couldn't restart untill I pulled the power plug in the back for about 15-20 seconds. I rebooted it again, and managed to get into windows. Now its stable untill I do somthing that is more tasking, or graphic related; such as 3dmarks. It will start it up for about 5 seconds then shut the computer down again. I Called asus and they told me to run cpuprobe and record the voltages right before it crashes, and all of them are normal. Next they told me to update the chip drivers on my motherboard and I did that and believe I did it correctly, i'm not sure. They also told me to update direct x and reinstall my graphic drivers all of which didnt fix the problem. At this point Im incredibly lost, and would love it if anyone could help me with any suggestions in any way.

Thank you for your time.

what's your CPU temp? what kindda memory are you running? what brand is your PSU?

your problem should be within the answers of the above question, if not, then RMA your board.

CPU temps is low mid 40's under load. I'm using OCZ memory, and my PSU is an antek 425 watt. Today I put my old graphics card (9700pro) in with the 3.0 to see if there were some sort of conflictions and low and behold, the computer stopped shutting down. So i'm thinking maybe it is a PSU issue?

Its a sapphire x800xl, so I went and downloaded the drivers off their website and it lasted about 5 seconds longer in 3dmarks before it went kaboom.

Possibilities of it being a faulty graphics card?

ok so now the PC stays on untill you 3d benchmark then it shuts off right? ok yeah you are right, it might be your PSU not having enough power to supply your card. one thing to be sure tho. run prime95 and see what happens, if your PC stays on, then your PSU is just too small for your video card.

Back