• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sunflower Oil Cooled PC - LOL!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's awesome! My friend and I are experimenting with alternative cooling methods with a bunch of old systems, and I think that this may be one of them now!

Sunflower oil was an interesting choice considering its perishable. Mineral oil would have worked too without that drawback.

would it work better w/o the fan, and maybe something to make waves? or a pump to move it around? lol

fan in oil seems like the fan's gonna die soon..

Firefox won't display the pic today but I thought I remembered there being a pump in the right hand side of the tank, to push that crud around. Might be another thread though. Every couple of days some guy "rediscovers" this cooling method, sparking discussions of Flourinert, various oils, ect., ect.

If I ever do this, i'm going to do it MY way :D

You NEED a pump, at least 1. Then, i'd get 6-7 dry-ice containers, like for dry-ice cooling for a CPU to chill the water. I'd then fill it with dry-ice, or use LN2. Id get a few containers, one near the CPU, one near the Ram, one resting on the motherboard right under the video card's heatsink (insulate the mobo's PCI slots if need be). And then, hell why not, the NB LOL

Snake: The cooler you get the oil, the more viscosity the oil will have, the harder it will be for the oil to flow.

Keep that in mind when you put a dry ice setup on it ;)

Here's a suggestion I don't know if it has been tried yet but why not waterproof the entire mobo and submerge them in liquid mercury. Finding large quanity of mercury would be the challenge considering it's very toxic and tightly regulated.

4GHZ_or_bust said:
why not waterproof the entire mobo and submerge them in liquid mercury.

4GHZ_or_bust said:
it's very toxic

Seems you've answered your own question.

Also you can't insulate contact points for video cards or memory or whatever, or they won't work. Even if you could somehow get around that, then it'd still be better to just submerge it in plain old water, since water has excellent thermal properties and the vapors won't kill you.

This is another question that pops up every now and then, though usually someone just suggests putting it in their water cooling loop.

Back