• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 Prescott o/c'ed to 7.1GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Absolutely crazy. :drool:

Though now I know what the highest OC is again :D It's always kinda akward when people ask, "so what's the highest OC you've ever heard of?" yet can't answer because the last time you actually heard an OC record was at shortly above 4GHz :eh?: :D

JigPu

Yes LN2 is a liquid, but to say liquid cooling doesn't really mean the same thing as LN2. If the definition of "liquid cooling" is solely that it be a liquid at some point, then you might as well put phase change into the same category.

The records are for novelty? Of course they are, and since when does only setting a record not define a computer? It's computing a calculation, and who cares how stable it is?

It's cheating because it is not sustainable or dangerous? Well damn, no more putting ice into a water cooling system, no more gravity bongs, no more phase change because it can be dangerous. And yes, if you dip your hand in LN2 bad things wil happen, but if you take any kind of real precautions you are more than fine.

Edit: and Oh yeah, congrats to team japan on continuous butt kicking

Certainly cool to hear about that kind of overclocking achievement. Although it's not stable, that's not really what the benching/records people are trying to accomplish.

To each his own.

3DFlyer said:
The system is definitely NOT stable. It will boot to windows, and will run SuperPi, but that is far from stable. I also assume that it will only stay stable long enoug to run a run of SuperPi, and it may not do that every single time.

LN2 is a liquid. That's what LN2 stands for...Liquid Nitrogen. One problem with it, is it doesn't stay that way for very long before it turns into a gas and evaporates.

These records are kinda neat for the novelty, but they're not real practical. You can't do anything with a system like that except experiment to see what's possible. It's almost not even a computer, since it does no real computing. It exists only to set records, and to further the science so that higher speeds can one day be attained. Cooling with LN2 is actually kinda cheating since that is not sustainable cooling. You can't use it 24/7 because it evaporates. You also have to be careful handling it, because it can hurt you. A frozen finger from LN2 will shatter like glass, then after it starts coming back to ambient it will then bleed.

I'm not real interested in handling something like that. Water or Vapo is plenty. If that won't do it, then more research needs to be done to eliminate heat through engineering.

I've always looked at these records, as similar to Top Fuel Dragster records.

Granted, you are not taking a dragster to the Piggly-Wiggly, to get milk, cereal and beer, but it is an interesting marvel.

Along the same lines, you are not setting up a LN2 cooled rig as a gaming machine, or even a node in a Folding farm, but they are interesting to see.

Now, racing has always improved the technology of the passenger car. I can see these record tests also improving the reliability (and speed) of the "Joe Sixpack, or Joe Suit" computer.

steve

Very good analogy skou! It really helps to advance the industry and technology as a whole.

ln2 is not liquid cooling

you use air for wc's rad, does that make it air cooling...

its phase change cooling

it cools as the liquid changes phases.. from liquid to gas..

still fast but a bench queen is my fav term for them..

3DFlyer said:
I didn't say a record doesn't define computing. I said it's not *really* a computer because it's doing no work. It's only purpose is for scientific study. It is not being used for what it was intended. It is experimental.

Phase change cannot be put in a liquid class, because it's not the liquid that does the actual cooling. It's the evap process to a gas that does...difference between night and day. The actual liquid does the cooling with LN2 as that is when it is coldest.

I also did not say it was cheating because it was dangerous...you are twisting my words around...again... I said it's cheating *kinda* because the *cooling* wasn't sustainable. If he were to try that record again an hour later he would end up with a few thousand dollars worth of smoke...just like the LN2 that evaporated into the air.

The point (that you totally missed) is it is not a usable machine. It's only purpose is for scientific study.

Phase change is not dangerous. Well, I guess it could be if you wanted to go drilling holes in it and huffing the gas or something like that. Comparing WC systems to LN2 is just laughable. There is no comparison.

Actually, LN2 cooling could be used 24/7.... you'd just need a heck of a lot of money and good insulation to do it. Like quite a few of the guys at XS say, this isn't "cost-effective systems.org", Team Japan's computer isn't used for typing emails to your grandma, but that doesn't mean it's not doing what it's supposed to..... Memesama got his system to run SPi, which I would consider normal operation, it's taking binary numbers and running them through the cpu and the registers, I don't see how you could define that to not be what it was built to do.

Also, the danger of phase change depends entirely on what your setup is.... there are quite a few overclockers that use propane as a refrigerant in their phase change systems (I can't remember propane's r-value at the moment). If their system developed a leak, there could be a large explosive danger... water cooling can't be considered dangerous really (except for the computer maybe :D ), but there's definitely some danger and risk involved with using phase change cooling.... there was a guy on one forum that got his finger stuck to the evaporator on his phase system and took some skin off when he tried to pull it away.

LN2 as well as dry ice are single-use phase change systems. Refrigeration (regular phase change) is a recycled phase change. It is a closed loop, and the coolant is re-used. LN2 and DI are a total loss. The coolant evaporates into the atmosphere.

They are BOTH phase change. (But yes, LN2 and DI are bench-queens.)

steve

Team Japan's computer isn't used for typing emails to your grandma, but that doesn't mean it's not doing what it's supposed to..... Memesama got his system to run SPi, which I would consider normal operation, it's taking binary numbers and running them through the cpu and the registers, I don't see how you could define that to not be what it was built to do.

Exactly - the second you start the computer and it is processing the bios info and loading windows - it is working - how is it not?.......

Back