• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the fastest DDR2 available?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that is the fastest, as of now....apparently they are supposed to have some new stuff coming out by october...7000 (i think, or was it 8000)

hyperasus said:
Is this Mushkin Mushkin XP6400 still the fastest stuff out? Is there anything else available you would recommend?

I dont understand why people would want to buy any ram for p4 faster than 400mhz. p4 FSB is only at 800 and devided to 2x400 between dual rams. so any ram faster than 400 is a waste. even if you could overclock p4 there is not much improvement w/ fsb. a 533 ram is the most you can get out of pentium extreme series w/ 1066 fsb.

ochungry said:
I dont understand why people would want to buy any ram for p4 faster than 400mhz. p4 FSB is only at 800 and devided to 2x400 between dual rams. so any ram faster than 400 is a waste. even if you could overclock p4 there is not much improvement w/ fsb. a 533 ram is the most you can get out of pentium extreme series w/ 1066 fsb.

Man you need to do some research and take a look at some benchmarks before you come in here saying stupid ***t like that.

Edit: I should have never made this comment and I apologize to ochungry for being rude and clueless.

Last edited:
hyperasus said:
Man you need to do some research and take a look at some benchmarks before you come in here saying stupid ***t like that.

He might be misguided, but flaming just makes it worse. We were all new at one time, we all will be wrong sometime in the future.

Has no one remembered this article? While uberfast RAM may help and is future proof, its not the absolute need many people make it out to be. Important, yes, but put it in context.

Last edited:
ochungry said:

have you heard of dividers? most asus boards and some others (only seen what asus has) but ya....you dont need to oc to get the speed outa the sticks with some boards, and even with oc'ing, we push it so far that we get all of the speed and then some

basically you buy faster ram so you can overclock, knowing that you ram can run the 400fsb at stock or underclocked, allows you overclock much much higher

corsair's pc5400ul and pc8000ul might be a little faster than the mushkin, but i doubt anyone knows for sure because of the frustrating lack of ddr2 reviews.

hyperasus said:
Is this Mushkin Mushkin XP6400 still the fastest stuff out? Is there anything else available you would recommend?
I dont have a recomendation for yah but there are alternatives with the same times. I believe OCZ has the 4200 with the same timings and i think kingston does too. I read this in a magizine somewhere i dont remember who was the fastests but they were all comparable <_<. If i recall correctly i think OCZ was given the best review out of the 3 companies

mateo said:
He might be misguided, but flaming just makes it worse. We were all new at one time, we all will be wrong sometime in the future.

I admit I could have handled that a little better. I apologize and hopefully there are no hard feelings.

I see Corsair has DDR2 1000 for sale at the egg. My mushkin can easily clock to pc2 1000 with timings of 5-3-3-8. I guess Mushkin is still king for now.

From what I understand, I believe AMD should have designed it's CPUs for the DDR2 as the 2000FSB doesn't really exist unless the ram supports it. Isn't that what makes the AMD Athlon 64 run at 2000Mhz FSB as they advertise these days? I still get a little confused with the 2000Mhz FSB as it never shows it is. I'm asking if anyone understands this kind of thing as with a FSB like that, you could be running ram at 1000Mhz for heaven sakes!! LOL

RVV-AE

hyperasus said:
I admit I could have handled that a little better. I apologize and hopefully there are no hard feelings.

I see Corsair has DDR2 1000 for sale at the egg. My mushkin can easily clock to pc2 1000 with timings of 5-3-3-8. I guess Mushkin is still king for now.

Well. I didnt want to respond to your flame, because it would have widen your mouth further.
If you pay a closer attention to what I said you wouldn’t have made such dumb remark. But apparently you don’t know the concept of Intel's CPU architecture and like many here just blindly accept and follow what others say or done, even if it is inaccurate.
What I was referring to was dual channel not quad pump.
If you don’t understand what this means you go do your homework.
Intel's CPU, even if it is quad it can only do 4x200=800 FSB due to the limitation of pipeline to north bridge, and northbridge itself. I was talking about the dual ram which is double pumped in dual channel making it 2x400, using 2 pipelines to memory controller dividing the pipe in 2 (dual pipes) ram and therefore DDR400x2=800 =the limitation of Intel's FSB(pipeline). The CPU clock can increase as much as you wan but you can not pass the data thru faster than 800mhz because of bottlenecking at pipeline(FSB), This is why only DDR3200 is most feasible. CPU's Bandwidth @6.4GB/s match's Memory bandwidth 6.4GB/s for DDR400. That's all. Increasing the current in the bus(pipeline) will burn the conduit and will fry the north bridge. This is why Intel is not a good overclocker. as mater of fact the core of Intel 3.2 ghz is actually clocking at 6.4 ghz to output 3.2 ghz. this is why Intel runs hotter.
AMD is a different story and different architecture. memory controller is built in CPU's die, and no need for FSB pipeline. and the transfer of data is through hyper transport completely different than Intel, and up to 2000 MT/s v Intel's 800. Intel HT (hyper threading) helps but it is a false logic, making the CPU and OS think there are 2 CPU's and 2 FSB. But actually one FSB one CPU, but programmed to send data in parallel thru, one pipeline.
I know this may seems to complicated for you to understand. But This does not give you the right to ridicule the author when you cant comprehend the subject.

I know this may seems to complicated for you to understand. But This does not give you the right to ridicule the author when you cant comprehend the subject.

Doesn't give you the right to flame him back, please keep it civil people

dicecca112 said:
Doesn't give you the right to flame him back

So true. Flaming is flaming, so let's just cool down and discuss the issue civilly. That's what a discussion board is for.

ochungry said:
Intel's CPU, even if it is quad it can only do 4x200=800 FSB due to the limitation of pipeline to north bridge, and northbridge itself. I was talking about the dual ram which is double pumped in dual channel making it 2x400, using 2 pipelines to memory controller dividing the pipe in 2 (dual pipes) ram and therefore DDR400x2=800 =the limitation of Intel's FSB(pipeline). The CPU clock can increase as much as you want but you can not pass the data thru faster than 800mhz because of bottlenecking at pipeline(FSB), This is why only DDR3200 is most feasible. CPU's Bandwidth @6.4GB/s match's Memory bandwidth 6.4GB/s for DDR400. That's all.

Remember that the CPU clock is determined by the multiplier * FSB. Since the multiplier is locked (upwardly at least), the only way to overclock is to raise the FSB. Therefore, the 800 figure you refer to is raised, which removes the bottleneck you claim. The article I posted earlier proves my claim; even though the DDR clock remains the same (due to the FSB:RAM ratio), memory performance still improves with an increased FSB. How? Because the bottleneck of a 200 MHz FSB, which you base your argument upon, is removed by clocking it higher.

This motivates all the interest with high-clocking RAM. If you lift the ultimate bottleneck between the RAM and the CPU, why not fill it up again for better performance? Also, if you can't use memory dividers or if they aren't too stable, faster clocking RAM is the only way you could get a faster CPU clock anyway.

Increasing the current in the bus(pipeline) will burn the conduit and will fry the north bridge. This is why Intel is not a good overclocker. as mater of fact the core of Intel 3.2 ghz is actually clocking at 6.4 ghz to output 3.2 ghz. this is why Intel runs hotter.

This happens for any chip, any architecture (I assume you're referring to overvolting). You don't need increased voltage for FSB overclocks, though it helps. There are also safe limits within which you can mod the voltage without damaging the northbridge, same as the CPU or anything else.

I don't get the double clock thing you talk about. One portion of the P4 CPU, I believe its the ALU, does clock double, but this has nothing to do with the final clock speed, multiplier * FSB. Clock speed is clock speed, period. Efficiencies and performance are a different story.

Intel HT (hyper threading) helps but it is a false logic, making the CPU and OS think there are 2 CPU's and 2 FSB. But actually one FSB one CPU, but programmed to send data in parallel thru, one pipeline.

Two CPUs only. HT has nothing to do with memory performance, its a performance booster for specifically designed SMP applications. Irrelevant to the rest of this thread.

You don't need increased voltage for FSB overclocks, though it helps

yes you do, well it depends on the ram, some like BH-5 thrive on higher voltages

Two CPUs only. HT has nothing to do with memory performance, its a performance booster for specifically designed SMP applications. Irrelevant to the rest of this thread.

Your rught about the two cpus and fsbs, but the performance boost is not gained for SMP applications, its for hyperthreading enabled applications.

dicecca112 said:
yes you do, well it depends on the ram, some like BH-5 thrive on higher voltages

FSB != RAM overclocks. That's what dividers are for.

Your rught about the two cpus and fsbs, but the performance boost is not gained for SMP applications, its for hyperthreading enabled applications.

True. They usually go together, but thanks for the clarification. :thup:

Well not stir things back up but the patriot, and crucial DDR2 6400 at 4-4-4-12 looks like pretty good stuff too. Not mushkin speeds but certainly worth a look.

Putting together a new system syself so I guess i'm a bit undecided as what to get as well.

T

Back