• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Dual core = quad cpu, been done yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aviator747

So has anyone made a dual dual core yet? Does the mobo's even exist in dual sockets with the proper pin numbers?

No, I am not wanting to do this. At least not anytime in the near future. :drool: I have just been curious of the possibilities ever since the dual cores have come into existence.

a mobo for a system like that will liekly ruin in the $500 + range - check out Tyan / SuperMicro, sure they got something.

Any modern Opteron board out there does this- the Tyan K8WE is one of the more popular, since it offers SLI. There are a bunch of benchies out there with a pair of 275's- here's one review, and here's another.

Mr.Guvernment said:
a mobo for a system like that will liekly ruin in the $500 + range - check out Tyan / SuperMicro, sure they got something.
I think the $500 range is considered way cheap. The tyan opteron board with 4 sockets cost in the $2000-$3000 range.
Thanks

penquissciguy said:
Look in this month's Maximum PC. This year's Dream Machine is a dual dual-core Opteron box.
That thing is freakin' awesome. Dual dual-core opererons, dual 7800gtx's, dual widescreen LCDs, dual dual layer burners, dual terabytes, and a dual chipset motherboard (for 16x SLI for both cards).

Back